Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I have run into a snag that kinda has me worried. I got the barrel back from my gunsmith today. (had the Warcomp pin, and welded) Once I got it mounted, I noticed that the rail is slightly off. Somehow I missed that before. It's not quite as tall.

Now if I have to adjust the front sight up a notch or two, no biggie, but if the receiver isn't machined right... I'll be upset. I won't have anything strattling the receiver, and rail, but the thought of going through figuring out a non-running gun isn't pleasant. It's an Aero Precision receiver, and I did get the correct .210 upper tang MI rail for the DPMS .308 pattern. Anyone had issues like this with either Areo or MI?
    what you're showing is a known "characteristic" of Midwest Industries rails mounted to Aero M5 uppers. it's been like that for years. For exactly that reason, I don't use the MI 308 rails with my Aero M5 uppers. If you're not going to use an Aero rail, then I prefer to use either the SLR-Rifleworks DPMS-high/SR25 rails, and the UTG Leaper Pro (Made in USA) 15" MTU026SSKB (keymod) or MTU026SSMB (M-LOK) rails for perfect M5 rail-height match-up. The UTG MTU026SSKB/SSKM rails, I get them from ecop! on ebay for about $170-$180 free shipping.

UTG Pro:

SLR Solo:
    Last edited by rpoL98; 05-28-19 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    Well if it's just the rail height, I'm not as worried. I love the rail. I run the same one on my .300 Blackout SBR too. I selected it so I could have this gun set up identical, only in a bigger platform.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    It's finished... sort of. What I mean is that it's finished enough that it can be test fired, and played with. I'd still like a LPVO, and a light, but she will shoot. Plans are to take her to the range and do function checks, and zero of the irons soon. The scope on it is an old Nikon M308 that was on my 5.56 for a while. I could use it,but the goal of this gun is actually not as a precision gun, but just a heavier carbine. Sort of a lightweight MBR. I will use the scope to see what kind of groups I can get out of her, but she will get a red dot, or a LPVO. She'll be just irons for a while, as I'm fixing to plunk down money on my first can. But here she is. Finished her off with the Lantac enhanced BCG, a Raptor charging handle, and the JP silent capture spring. (heavy version with extra tuning springs)

Their dogs.

Feedback Score

First AR-10 build.

I'm considering building an AR-10 pattern gun, my second build. I'm was going to use Aero Precision stuff again because it was economical and the quality seemed good for what I got. The previous build was a .300 BLK pistol using a complete upper, and complete lower from Aero. Not really a "build" as much as an assembly. It's been flawless through several hundred rounds and accuracy is good enough for a 10" barreled pistol. Which leads to my question...

Would anyone recommend a different brand for a .308 AR10 type gun where accuracy is more important? Is Aero's stuff good enough? I have no plans to set world records for long distance shooting with this gun. Just long range more-precise range gun, maybe coyote hunting someday. I've never assembled a lower using a LPK and wouldn't know where to begin.

For $1300-ish assembled, is there a better AR-10?

Thanks.
    Last edited by buffdriver; 05-25-19 at 22:57. Reason: Poor grammar. And Spelling.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Quote Originally Posted by buffdriver View Post
    I'm considering building an AR-10 pattern gun, my second build. I'm was going to use Aero Precision stuff again because it was economical and the quality seemed good for what I got. The previous build was a .300 BLK pistol using a complete upper, and complete lower from Aero. Not really a "build" as much as an assembly. It's been flawless through several hundred rounds and accuracy is good enough for a 10" barreled pistol. Which leads to my question...

Would anyone recommend a different brand for a .308 AR10 type gun where accuracy is more important? Is Aero's stuff good enough? I have no plans to set world records for long distance shooting with this gun. Just long range more-precise range gun, maybe coyote hunting someday. I've never assembled a lower using a LPK and wouldn't know where to begin.

For $1300-ish assembled, is there a better AR-10?

Thanks.
    I would say build it but pick up a Ballistic Advantage 416R SS rifle gas 18” barrel. I ran this setup with Aero. Upper and lower and it was stupid accurate with Federal SMK 175 and 168, particularly the 175gr ammo. At 250+ yards I measured consistent
    .71/.77” 4 round shot groups off an Atlas bipod with a bag under the stock. The only barrel I’ve seen outperform my SS BA barrels (5.66) was my SS 14.5 Noveske barrel in 5.56. That’s what I would do. Aero makes consistent quality receivers and I’ve built by now almost 30 AR’s using primarily their receiver sets. I’ve never once had to return an upper or lower due to out of spec or finish issues. Never.

Also there are enough guys here that can walk you through an LPK install on your M5 lower. I can install the LPK in my M5 lower with you on a video call or whatever. It’s not that hard and I’m more than happy to help.

There are some Memorial Day sales out there on BA’s stainless steel 308 barrels this weekend, including on ballisticadvantage.com
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 05-25-19 at 23:20.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I would agree with the Aero M5 receiver set as a good starting point. I would use the standard M5, as opposed to the M5E1 Enhanced, to give you more rail options now, or down the road. the beauty of being DPMS-pattern is that there are so many good barrels out there that can be used, including Faxon, Criterion, KAK, etc. I would agree that Ballistic Advantage is a good start at a great price. Aero owns or is partnered with BA, so compatibility is assured. Personally, I would recommend going with an Aero BCG, although Toolcraft is often recommended. The Aero BCGs are frequently on sale at a decent price, phosphate, nitride, or NiB.

mandatory: get the Aero M5 LPK, because the mag catch/release setup is proprietary, and the takedown/pivot pins also. But virtually any AR-15 trigger will work, e.g. Geissele, etc. if you want to go aftermarket.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    This will be my BCG for my new AR-10 build.

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/7-62x51-...carrier-group/

I have never been more impressed with a BCG than this one. It’s pure beast and the coating is phenom.

Ain’t cheap, but worth every cent imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Finished product. I chose the 1-8 Primary Arms. I like the ACSS reticle. Have not put that money down on a can yet. Still can't seem to force myself to buy something I can't use for 8 to 10 months...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Great inputs, thank you.

A couple of follow up questions:
    - I'm planning to build 18" length with rifle length gas tube. Is the Hanson BA worth the extra few dollars?
    - The option of a fluted barrels seems to be only a weight savings, no discernable heat dissipation. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    11 oz of weight savings on the heaviest AR-308 component is worthy of serious consideration. if equally accurate.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast