Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

First:
    For those wanting to get to the 'meat-and-potatoes' immediately, go to post #59 page 6 - a comprehensive list of what needs consideration - what works and what does not.

If you're capable of building an AR15 and are comfortable doing it there's no reason whatsoever you could not build a reliable AR308.
    The same basic concepts apply:
    First and foremost - stick with reputable, quality parts. Know where NOT to go cheap.
    Do your homework - research to make sure the parts you get play well together.
    Use the knowledge of this forum, together with much in this thread there is little gambling or guess-work left - that and use the search button.
    The info is available, and if not sure ask - do not assume - there is no TDP; variations and exceptions are the rule.

For more details and deeper discussion read the OP/thread as originally started:

The itch needs a scratch. Want to build an AR10/.308n platform rifle from scratch.
    Having done research one thing has become glaringly clear: there is no standardization as with AR15. Wondering if we can build a basic knowledge thread?

There is a significant increase in offerings of quality receivers, now raising the question is with which parts they play well together?
    So we have 2 different patterns:
    Armalite AR10
    DPMS/KAC SR25

For instance; PSA, Aero Precision - both DPMS pattern- offer receivers, barrels, BCG's on their websites. What if I want to get a 3rd party BCG because of different specs - carpenter 158 vs 9310 bolt.
    Then - I assume the AR10 BCG will not run in a DPMS pattern set up?

What about barrels - will any DPMS pattern receiver play well with any DPMS pattern barrel/BCG, and how concerned should we be about 'headspace' fit and functionality?
    I know from experience that when purchasing known quantity AR15 parts this will as a rule fit as a glove, across makes.

There may be a bit of tweaking involved getting the ideal spring and buffer weight to get it running smooth - but that's the fun part.

Not looking for product info or validation, really trying to get more input on what works and won't work with what platform, and where there is cross-platform functionality.
    For instance - magazine are dedicated to platform, while most parts of the LPK's fit across the board, even .308/5.56.

Am I missing and or should I be concerned about anything else? What else can we add to this?

UPDATE:
    Trying to keep this up to date I have edited the OP, and will continue to add info as it becomes relevant on 'brief recap' post #59, page 6.
    Last edited by polydeuces; 08-29-15 at 17:37.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.