Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A few custom barrel makers I've spoken to would roll me a match SS barrel substituting an Armalite barrel extension and would headspace if I sent them a bolt. I would prefer a common and more mass produced barrel.
    A fairly common thing. Custom machinist-gunsmtihs can build you a hyper-precise rifle. Most people won't invest the money since they'll never, ever in this lifetime come close to shooting out a barrel.

Kinda like the false economy of building a $3,000+ rifle system to use cheap plastic magazines and ball ammo, then bitch that it holds groups like a pawn shop Savage.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Free float rail selection. I am between the Ranier Arms 15" Switch or the MI SS

Opinions, experiences, why/why not- details on your choice.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I am awaiting the delivery of my Rainier barrel, went ahead and ordered a free-float rail. As mentioned in the beginning plan was to keep the budget at or below 1K, which at this point if purchasing a MI rail or something in that range would clearly push me over.

SO......went ahead and took a leap of faith.
    Went ahead and purchased a (Drumroll.......EEEEEK......seriously - I kid you not.....) UTG rail!!!! I know....blasphemy.....And usually I'd not give it the time of day either. But God bless us for small miracles!
    We all agree this is NOT a make that has any form of respect and recognition, as a rule deservedly so, but the price was right, figured can't lose that much if it's crap send it back, and I did read some rather encouraging reviews.
    Sooooooooooo.........upon receiving my rail I must admit I am very very pleasantly surprised.
    This is what they are designating as the 'Pro' line - all made in the US, and honestly - it really looks good - finish is clean, feels like quality all over,very light and sleek. No hesitation on first impression it is every bit as good as any Troy rail I've ever had my hands on.
    Obviously proof is in the pudding, most certainly will follow this up with pics and a function review of the build in general, but while waiting for my tube figured throw that out there - food for thought.
    Last edited by polydeuces; 12-28-14 at 18:28. Reason: spell check
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Barrel arrived - went with a Rainier 18" Select, headspaced with bolt sent in to Rainier, built on a Aero M5 receiver set.
    Built is pretty much complete, all is left is an overall tightening-up and function-check.
    Weight as is - to my surprise, 8.5 lbs. Expected worse. Very nicely balanced.
    Fair to say it all turned out a lot better that expected, with far less issues regarding fit and compatibility than I feared.
    I will post images of complete rig, parts/build info and general feedback in the next few days.

Also - in lieu of the chart I will amend the 'info-page' I started earlier with further details.
    Hope this will help others making sense of what initially seems a bewildering number of options and lack of compatibility (chaos?) though eventually it all makes sense.
    Sort of...
    Per Ardua ad Astra.

Feedback Score
    Saw an Aero M5 set at my lgs, and am planning on snagging it when tax returns come in. A good friend of mine decided to return the favor of my enabling him into getting a scar 17 by sending me this link . I'm looking at everyone's ideas while designing my build on paper until the time comes to slowly start buying my parts.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Attachment 31368

Done with the build.

Brief specs:
    Weight 'bare' (no mag, glass, bipod), a very nicely balanced 8.5 lbs - quite surprised.
    As shown....(ouch)....12.3 lbs...not so well balanced.
    Aero M5 receivers, with Aero LPK (trigger/pins/bolt-stop/mag-release).
    Troy ambi selector
    Rainier select barrel, 18"
    FSC comp
    BCG; NiB with 'black' carpenter 158 bolt by Operative Solutions - they are the actual manufacturer of the (308) BCG's for Rainier, Blackrain, Aim etc.
    VLTOR RE10/A5 stock
    Rest should be obvious.

Hoping to function-test and actually see what it can do at a bit of a distance sometime next week.
    Will post range rapport with more detailed build info.

Other than that - my mission accomplished: stay within the budget.
    Achieved by purchasing at the right time, recycle what was possible and a bit of compromise, just a hair over 1K.
    Not bad.
    Last edited by polydeuces; 01-30-15 at 10:48.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.

Feedback Score
    Well played, great looking weapon you have there.

Feedback Score
    Heads Up:

There is a batch of pivot pins and takedown pins for the Aero M5 receivers that have too deep of a detent catch cut in the tracks for the closed position.

What ends up happening is that the pivot pin will not move at all without destructive force.

Do not attempt to punch the pin out if you find yourself in this position. Get a hold of Aero and send the lower back to them for repair.

With the pins being hardened units, I'm not sure how they will fix it, but attempting to punch the pins out with force will shear the aluminum at the opening to the detent channel in the lower, and permanently damage the lower receiver.

Carry on with the customer beta-testing phase.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Heads up:
    Update posted on RECAP, page 9 re: short-stroking issue Aero M5/ Aero Precision 16" SS barrel with midlength gas system and gas port of appx. 0.075"
    Per Ardua ad Astra.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    Heads Up:

There is a batch of pivot pins and takedown pins for the Aero M5 receivers that have too deep of a detent catch cut in the tracks for the closed position.

What ends up happening is that the pivot pin will not move at all without destructive force.

Do not attempt to punch the pin out if you find yourself in this position. Get a hold of Aero and send the lower back to them for repair.

With the pins being hardened units, I'm not sure how they will fix it, but attempting to punch the pins out with force will shear the aluminum at the opening to the detent channel in the lower, and permanently damage the lower receiver.

Carry on with the customer beta-testing phase.
    Where are you getting this information? Is there a way to tell if the pivot and takedown pins are in spec?

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast