Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Just posted some updated/additional info.
    Fair to say the Genie is out of the Bottle - building AR308's is here to stay and getting more mainstream - almost logical considering the saturation point we've reached with AR15/M4.
    Therefore like to see if those of us having built their own AR308/AR10 can weigh in with their experiences and share some of the specific issues they dealt with and solutions, things for manufacturers to consider.
    If we take charge of the narrative we get the products we want/need.
    Thanks.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    How about a pivot pin with a built in detent instead of the four handed exercise we have to do now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    AIM surplus is now showing a NiB .308 bolt for sale now. Looks a lot like the Aero. More choices for those in the market.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...up&groupid=723
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    Where are you getting this information? Is there a way to tell if the pivot and takedown pins are in spec?
    Several people have had it happen already, and one guy tried to punch his pivot pin out with force, permanently damaging the lower. There's a thread about it on TOS in the variants section.

Was just assembling my Aero M5, put the pivot pin in and a few minutes later went to push it out and couldn't get it to push out. Finally ended up hammering on it with a brass punch and a brass hammer and it still wouldn't budge. Hit it harder and it finally started to move. It had sheared off the detent. When I got it out it saw it had also widened / bent open the top of the detent hole.

The problem is the divets in the ends of the slot in the pivot pin are drilled out to big and to deep. So deep that when the detent pops into them it won't come out short of shearing it off or driving the detent thru the side of the lower and ruining the lower in the process.
    Aero sent him a new pivot pin that is made correctly, but his channel to the pivot pin detent is opened up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    AIM surplus is now showing a NiB .308 bolt for sale now. Looks a lot like the Aero. More choices for those in the market.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...up&groupid=723
    On a related note, does anyone know if this BCG, and others for the DPMS pattern large frame .308 AR are in any way compatible with Armalite AR-10's?

I ask because I have read some people and manufacturers state (JP off the top of my head) that hey can be interchanged as long as the components within the BCG are kept of the same type.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-4SPAHP
    http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-4AHP
    http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-4SPAHP

BC-4 Bolt Carrier Assembly Group AR-10 Compatibility

This notice pertains to any rifle based on the large-format AR-10-type or LR-308 platform typically chambered in .308 Winchester, 7.62x51 NATO or other cartridges requiring the longer magazine format.

Be aware that these receiver platforms are not standardized like the AR-15/M16 platform for which most parts are cross-compatible. Before ordering accessories and parts for your large-format rifle, make sure the parts are compatible with your particular platform. The JPBC-4AHP complete bolt carrier assembly and its parts are compatible with the DPMS family of AR-10 products.

NOTICE: With the Armalite/Rock River family of large-frame receivers, this assembly can only be used as a complete bolt carrier assembly group. Interchanging individual components will result in an unsafe configuration. DO NOT under any circumstances mix and match components between the platforms. Only use the complete JP bolt carrier assembly in the Armalite/Rock River platforms.
    I have no idea if this is true, or if it varies from rifle to rifle (tolerance stacking).

I am going to post up some caliper measurements of key dimensions of my Armalite AR-10 bolt and carrier. If someone wants to post dimensions of a DPMS pattern bolt and carrier to compare, that would be great.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not having any luck finding an answer to this question...will an Aero Precision M5 308 upper fit, function, and look decent on a DPMS lower?
    Also, what rail systems are you guys finding to be most compatible with the M5 uppers? I want to stay away from keymod and go with something mostly slick (troy style) or m-lok compatible.
    I have a DPMS 308 lower from an existing DMPS LR308 but want to assemble an upper, and see how I like it while I assemble the collection of parts and an M5 lower, as more funds become available.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For a rail system, I personally have and have seen many .308 models with a Midwest Industries SS variant.

Quote Originally Posted by tacdrivrnc View Post
    I'm not having any luck finding an answer to this question...will an Aero Precision M5 308 upper fit, function, and look decent on a DPMS lower?
    Also, what rail systems are you guys finding to be most compatible with the M5 uppers? I want to stay away from keymod and go with something mostly slick (troy style) or m-lok compatible.
    I have a DPMS 308 lower from an existing DMPS LR308 but want to assemble an upper, and see how I like it while I assemble the collection of parts and an M5 lower, as more funds become available.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just noticed this sticky. There are quite a few helpful bits in a thread I started a while back, but the most helpful section to anyone reading may be the parts list I put together in post #77. Hope this helps someone:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...8-debate/page8

I think this shows building very high quality .308 AR is appealing. I got the rail, trigger, stock, etc... I wanted. No compromises. Once I put MBUS pro sights and a BCM charging handle on, the cost was about $1900 all in.

Is an Aero Precision .308 attractive and saves time? Yes. Until you want a different trigger, BUIS, charging handle, and match barrel.

To each their own. But I would contend building with quality parts is still compelling. My .308 AR is by far my most accruate zombie killer I own.

Feedback Score
    I built my M5E1 using 18 in Craddock precision 1/10 match barrel, 15 in keymod rail, SSAE trigger, tacops charging handle, heavy buffers buffer, BCM gunfighter mod2 grip and VLTOR E-Mod stock. topped it with a Nikon M308 scope and mount. The rifle shoots better than I do. My
    friends liked it so much I have built four more with variations of the same basic build. I had the stock upper and the MI 15in SSK rail.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I built a 308 pistol, 12.5 inch barrel, cryptic coatings bcg, etc, on a PSA pa10 receiver set, i'm currently upgrading to an aero precision set because the fit was very loose on the pa10, also i want a phase 5 extended bolt release and the pa10 won't take it or a bad lever. It's the cheapest receiver set you can buy and it shows, i'm sure it would be fine for a first timer who wanted to save a few $
    Last edited by machinegunphilip; 09-19-15 at 02:27.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast