Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Well I've finally decided to commit. I've built an AR for every purpose I should have one, but was undecided on whether to pursue an LR-308 build or just build AR-15's for my friends, I picked up an Aero M5 upper from the E&E that came with an RE tube, I think a RE-10, its long like a rifle tube, the spring and a rifle buffer about 6-7 months ago. All brand new. This weekend, I ran across an Aero Precision lower receiver and picked it up at a gun show. And while I still may go the Rifle length, because I have a PRS on my 5.56 SPR that I may rob the PRS from my SPR and put on my LR-308, I am also considering using Magpuls SR-25 RE tube and go the "A5" route adjustable stock route. Plus I do have a lot of AR-15 spare parts some I may be able to use, and Burris XTR II 5-25x50 glass to mount. So I'll be reading through this thread catching up on what BCG you guys are having the most luck with. Barrel-wise, the plan is for an 18". My SPR Is an 18" and I find the length manageable, and will also have a 762-SDN-6 can (in jail now for for 6 months). Barrel wise I'm thinking a Ballistic Advantage (Hanson if I go mid; Performance if I go rifle.) or a Faxon barrel, buy I'm open to options and recommendations. I'd like to keep it in the $330 and downward range. So I started at the beginning of the thread and working my way through it learning. Hopefully when I come out the other side I will know what BCG to run, what gas system and maybe even a barrel recommendation or two, along with rails. I'm pretty excited and also a little concerned that this platform seems to be much more temperamental than the AR-15. I built all of my ARs with the mindset that they should be combat ready weapons. They are stable, they are a known variable. I'm confident in that. I hope I can get to the same level of confidence with the LR-308 build. Thank you to all who have gone before me and provided all the intel.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This thread makes my head hurt.
    This is why I just stick to Armalite AR-10A for my budget, and would otherwise either get an LMT MWS, or some other factory gun.

Also, I trust Aero to make AR-15 receivers, but the I stay away from their 308 voodoo. I've seen tons of threads regarding issues with their bolt catches and other compatibility issues.
    To each their own. I know I'll get flamed for this
    Last edited by Benito; 02-27-17 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have yet to have a single malf with the 308 AR I built. Runs like a sewing machine.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Are you guys posting your LR308/AR-10 builds in the Custom Build thread or here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    This thread makes my head hurt.
    This is why I just stick to Armalite AR-10A for my budget, and would otherwise either get an LMT MWS, or some other factory gun.
    I'm going to agree with this statement. I spent 6 or so years kicking around a 308 gas gun build. I would buy single parts here and there and sell them off as my mind would change. All said and done you will end up at LMT MWS money. It pushed me to save and just buy a SR25. I think the factory route is the best thing for a 308 gas guns. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 02-27-17 at 22:19.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Are you guys posting your LR308/AR-10 builds in the Custom Build thread or here?

Skip to 77 for parts list: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ate&highlight=

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Deleted- duplicate post
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 02-27-17 at 22:48.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

If anyone is interested Ballistic Advantage's Barrel o'the Week" is an 18" .308 heavy profile Performance barrel 416R SS in DPMS Pattern. If you have the military/LEO discount and ship economy, you walk out the door with an excellent barrel for $202.50. That is a good buy. BCG, rail and adjustable gas block next.

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 02-27-17 at 23:51.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I got most of my lower receiver assembled except for the bolt catch. (arriving this week). I have my trigger (LaRue MBT-2S), the extended pivot and take down pins, and my mag release. It wasn't really super difficult, although I'll admit the pivot pin detent and spring was a PITA and I did launch one detent across the room. But what made things more difficult is because I do not have a vise block or any way to secure the lower (or upper) during assembly.

This is what I have left to install:
    1. RE tube and RE end plate (and buffer spring/buffer. (Undecided on A5 or rifle length)
    2. Barrel w/ muzzle device
    3. Rail

I still need other parts, but they do not require special tools for installation. (BCG, CH)

My lower is built, so can i get away from needing a lower receiver vise blocK?

I did run some searches (LR-308 + tools; AR-10 + tools) but didn't find in in the thread with actual answers. I found a thread asking pretty much what I am, but no replies. Lots of AR-15 tool threads. I did not find an LR-308 tool thread.

I understand the barrel nut will likely be impacted by the rail I choose, but is there something like my Magpul Vise block that secures the upper for when I do install my barrel? Do you think I can avoid buying a lower receiver vise block, since my lower is built? I'm trying to minimize my capital expenditures so I can focus on the parts I need to buy.

Thanks for the help.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Tools is the one thing where there's mostly consistency.
    Unless indeed there's some proprietary barrel nut deal but then theres usually a tool supplied with it.
    Since the feedramps/chamber is pretty much standard - right? your Magpul/Geissele block/rod will be gtg
    And whatever 'special designed/machined' upper receiver you have may also impact fit.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast