Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Count me in as yet another 308 AR wanter, yet not purchasing anything due to the confusion.

I want to suppress mine as well, which just adds to the difficulty of finding compatible parts. I guess I could always sell my kidney and buy a Noveske
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    31 (97%)
    Good rails are available. Look at the Centurion Arms rails in 308. Also, Daniel Defense makes a 308 rail. They have decided to discontinue it, but you can still buy it on their site I think. I would do the Mega arms receivers.
    Last edited by weg111; 11-03-14 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Count me in as yet another 308 AR wanter, yet not purchasing anything due to the confusion.

I want to suppress mine as well, which just adds to the difficulty of finding compatible parts. I guess I could always sell my kidney and buy a Noveske
    Same boat, basically what I'm loitering around waiting to do. I'll probably be such a low round count user that I could run a 7" Ti can and get away with it.

I'm still mystified that both RRA and Wyndham seem to get their own custom models from MI on the SS-KM handguards. I guess there's a market, which means some of them are out there, but I can't really understand why folks are actively buying 308 AR's from companies that can't make 5.56 ones run (DPMS ones will run, just have higher lemon rates and lower MRBF, but they at least don't do embarrassingly stupid things like eat their own triggers, and be only compatible with themselves).
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    I pieced together a .308 gas gun and I'm really happy with the results. It was my first build. I wanted a rifle that could do a little bit of everything--fun on a bench, light enough to hunt a little-- the cliche RECCE. It's light, no issues through 300 rounds, and more accurate that I can shoot. I used some JP Rifles parts that might not be the norm around here.

JD Machine Upper/Lower Matched Set
    Ranier Ultra Match 16" barrel
    DPMS parts kit
    ALG Trigger
    Seekins adjustable gas block.
    JP Rifles LMOS BCG
    JP Silent Capture Spring (just wanted to see what it was all about)
    Daniel Defense 12" Light Rail

For perspective, next to my .308 SPS Tac

First trip in the field with it. I took this standing from about 70 yards.
    Last edited by Kev; 11-02-14 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Nice piggy. I hope he was tasty.

Kev - my design parameters are a lot like yours. Something I can put a 1-8X optic on, or add an Aimpoint and slay swine with it.

I'm still debating the 16" versus 18" barrel. The Ultra Match looks quite desirable.

And a can is very high on the list as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Nice piggy. I hope he was tasty.

Kev - my design parameters are a lot like yours. Something I can put a 1-8X optic on, or add an Aimpoint and slay swine with it.

I'm still debating the 16" versus 18" barrel. The Ultra Match looks quite desirable.

And a can is very high on the list as well.
    The scope I have on there is the 2.5-10x24 Nightforce. Keeps the weight down. I need to try an Aimpoint on it.

I read through some threads on here and decided that there was very little to be gained by going over 16 inches and a lot to give up in terms of versatility gained with the compact barrel. Here are two that I read Link 1 and Link 2. It was a blast to carry on the pig hunt. I was on 6,000 acres of hills and it was light and easy. Hardly noticed that I didn't have a 5.56.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Cool, thanks for the data, it is useful.

I already have a Remington 700 .308 bolt gun, which also makes me lean toward the 16" for the gas gun. If I wish to smite a creature some great distance away, I'll use it.

That NF is very sweet, it's on my optic list as well. I was going to get a Bobro mount for the scope, and a Bobro for the Aimpoint. That way I can pretty much swap them without too much concern for the zero.

Good luck on the future pig hunts, it sounds like you have a terrific setup and a great location. All you need now is one of those big smoker pits on a trailer!

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Even a cross reference chart would be extremely handy.
    What I was thinking. Anyone has some disposable time to digest all the info and neatly package it? I know I dont....
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am slowly and cautiously building an AR10 myself, the only components I have so far are an AP M5 lower and their LPK; already there have been a few "interesting" discoveries.

1) The pivot pin detent and spring (mostly the spring) seem to be the same as what is found on a typical AR build but this makes them quite a bit too long to fit into the M5 lower. The pivot pin is installed through one of the "ears" on the receiver, not along the dust cover like on a M4 receiver. Carefully measuring as I went I ended up taking off probably around 5-6 coils to make the spring work.

2) The magazine release button, spring and lever all appear to be standard as well; the problem being that the AR10 receiver is notably thicker. The button does not thread nearly as deep as on an M4; I am not sure if I was sent the wrong release, or if they are all like this.

Thanks for starting a thread like this, I am sure it will be required reading for me.

Feedback Score
    So.. I started typing one up... I'm 1500 words in with links to stores for parts and then to verify some info I find that a lot of the legwork has been done on TOS. So there goes the past 2 hours lol

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/3...date_2012.html
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/413443_.html

I can still go ahead and finish mine so that its "ours" and I'll send it around to a few folks who have done something like my build and send it to IG to fact check and then we'll post it.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast