Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    Can someone measure the diameter of the pivot and takedown pins on their Aero M5? I ordered some KAC pins and I'm not sure if they're going to work.
    Pivot: 7.05mm

Take down: 7.05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-01-17 at 10:09.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    You mean the holes for the take down and pivot?

That'll work too!

And I suppose my next question is, what is the diameter of the Knights pins?

Last edited by lahunter57; 09-01-17 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

That'll work too!

Sorry I swear I read and inside diameter. That's why I asked.
    Sorry for the miscomms

Here are the front and rear pins: (not holes)

Pivot: 7.05mm

Take down: 7.05mm

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    That'll work too!

Can't help you with KAC pins, but why didn't you buy the pivot and take down pins from Aero?

They work perfectly because they are designed to work with the M5 lower specifically.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Can't help you with KAC pins, but why didn't you buy the pivot and take down pins from Aero?

They work perfectly because they are designed to work with the M5 lower specifically.

I was ordering some stuff from operation parts and I decided to just throw those in the cart thinking that they would work. That may have been a bit of an oversight.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    That'll work too!

I'm asking this question and making the point because there really isn't a mil spec standard your dealing with, which I'm sure you know. The Aero will take AR-15 LPK except for take down pins and you don't need the bolt release pin, spring and detent because it comes with. I also don't use the AR-15 mag lever and button because it's too recessed. You can try an Armalight Extended mag lever, or what I did was buy a Forward Controls EMR-C. It's a taller button and so your finger gets a better purchase k. The button.
    I also had to Mod my pistol grip due to the difference in how the rear take down pin secures in the M5. The take down spring doesn't secure against the RE end plate but against the pistol grip, next to the selector switch.

You may already know all this, but in case you weren't aware..

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

I was ordering some stuff from operation parts and I decided to just throw those in the cart thinking that they would work. That may have been a bit of an oversight.

My recommendation to you is to get the Aero takedown and pivot. You can use your AR-15 LPK springs and detects if you have spare LPK parts. I don't buy LPK's anymore, I just pick up the individual springs or detents as needed.

Aero sells a 308 LPK but I think it's overpriced for what you really need.

Here's a pic of a mil spec mag button and Roger's Forward Controls EMR-C
    It'll run you $8 bucks or so. $16 for the take down and pivot and if you already have AR-15 LPK spares, you're done and done.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My recommendation to you is to get the Aero takedown and pivot. You can use your AR-15 LPK springs and detects if you have spare LPK parts. I don't buy LPK's anymore, I just pick up the individual springs or detents as needed.

Aero sells a 308 LPK but I think it's overpriced for what you really need.

Here's a pic of a mil spec mag button and Roger's Forward Controls EMR-C
    It'll run you $8 bucks or so. $16 for the take down and pivot and if you already have AR-15 LPK spares, you're done and done.

Thanks for the heads up! I did a lot of reading last night and I know this is going to be a different beast. The KAC pins are already on the way so I'll report back on their compatibility .

I've been looking at the bolt catch and I saw where a lot of people were having failures. I saw that forward controls makes a 308 bolt catch so I think I'm going to try that. The M5 wasn't listed as incompatible so my fingers are crossed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Can someone measure the diameter of the pivot and takedown pins on their Aero M5? I ordered some KAC pins and I'm not sure if they're going to work.

Mine are:
    Front: 0.276"D 1.715"L
    Rear: 0.277"D 1.161"L

The front pin is longer than standard because the Aero casting is thicker in the front.

I also had to get a longer mag button. The one included in Aero's LPK wasn't long enough. The button was recessed below the lower before it dropped the mag. I didn't like that and got a Guntech extended mag release from eBay.
    Last edited by sucker76; 09-02-17 at 14:25.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up! I did a lot of reading last night and I know this is going to be a different beast. The KAC pins are already on the way so I'll report back on their compatibility .

I've been looking at the bolt catch and I saw where a lot of people were having failures. I saw that forward controls makes a 308 bolt catch so I think I'm going to try that. The M5 wasn't listed as incompatible so my fingers are crossed.

You are welcome. This is part of why M4C exists so if I can help, I'm glad I can.

Not sure about the bolt release problem. I haven't experienced a single failure.
    Be aware however that the M5 uses a small hex head screw rather than the standard roll pin in AR-15 LPK's. I shot Roger Wang an email asking for his input on compatibility. He designed all the Forward Controls parts so he is the Jedi Master of that space and will know.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast