Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Finished product. I chose the 1-8 Primary Arms. I like the ACSS reticle. Have not put that money down on a can yet. Still can't seem to force myself to buy something I can't use for 8 to 10 months...

Is that their SFP is FFP? Have you been able to try any holds at 300+m yet? If so how do the holds perform with the ammo you’re using?

Nicely built 308 too! Good job bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    SFP. It's only had one range outing. I've done nothing yet but break it in, and zero it at the 50 yd range.

The illumination isn't really daylight bright like my Aimpoint, but the reticle is etched on the glass, and is easy enough to pick up. It won't be quite as quick on CQB, as the red dot, but as quick, or quicker than the irons, plus give me the 8x. I do love the ACSS reticle, but I also wish the illumination was better in daylight. More time with it will tell if it stays on there or if I put my Comp M4s (from my SBR) on it and put this on another gun.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by buffdriver View Post
    Great inputs, thank you.

A couple of follow up questions:
    - I'm planning to build 18" length with rifle length gas tube. Is the Hanson BA worth the extra few dollars?
    - The option of a fluted barrels seems to be only a weight savings, no discernable heat dissipation. Thoughts?

Thanks.
    I would agree with the weight savings all things being equal. I have Hanson barrels and they were ALL sub-MOA barrels. I went with that 18” heavy because it was a rifle gas barrel and based on experience for 16”and up I want. Rifle gas system. I did not go the BA Hanson route because I did not want a mid-length gas system, I wanted rifle gas so for me the Hanson wasn’t an option since it only comes in mid-length.

My next 308 will likely be a 16” barrel. Quandary is that I am fully sold on BA barrels but they don’t make a 16” rifle gas so in all likelihood I will buy an 18” and send it to Marvin to cut down.

ETA: fluting your barrel is NOT your only weight reduction option. Case In Point. A buddy dropped his CMMG MK3 with me for me to modernize. Compared to the original config I had some options to drop weight and I did so. However he had a heavy ass barrel on it. Think somewhere between a heavy profile and a bull barrel. I called Marvin Pitts and after a couple of rather long calls between the two of us, we settled on a ball mill. I won’t say that saved us 5 lbs but it definitely trimmed wright from the barrel, which in turn helped balance the weapon, which was a huge plus. I’ll post a couple of pics of Marvin’s work. He’s an outstanding barrel Jedi Master.

Just to give you an idea on shaving weight without affecting accuracy that the heavier profile barrel will give you.

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 05-29-19 at 04:40.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post

I’ve read post #59 and a few others but not all 230+ so I might have missed the answer to this question: are the charging handles all the same?

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!
    You can run a 7.62 Raptor, a TacOps Sniper (send me a PM ref this charging handle, currently sold by LaRue Tactical as its pretty damn awesome.) basically you should be GTG running any 7.62 style CH. I have a mil spec one, a Wyndham which is similar to the Raptor and the TacOps Sniper if you want to try them & return. Vltor/BCM also makes a decent CH for 7.62 AR’s. I ran all the CH’s I mentioned on my LMT MWS which is in the Armalite pattern.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I bought a DPMS bolt catch from Brownells but it didn’t come with the spring and plunger. Do I just use a standard AR15 spring and plunger or are those parts AR308-specific as well?

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!
    The only thing you want to probably do is make sure you either have an extended mag catch lever or you get an extended mag catch button. I’ve done both and they equate to the same although I preferred the extended button from Forward Controls. The rest of the LPK is the same except (typically)the takedown and pivot pins. I see you have a Cross Armory lower - so check with them if you need those extended pivot and takedowns. Pins are the same except the takedown detent normally is next to the selector switch detent. I normally drill out a divot in the pistol grip just for the takedown detent since it’s not installed in front of the end plate on AR-10’s.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    What BCG would you good people recommend to work well with a BA Hanson .308 barrel? I've read great things about the Lantec enhanced BCG, but I've read a few things where the bolt doesn't headspace right sometimes with a BA barrel, but I love the features of the carrier. It's going in an Aero upper.
    BA BCG or LMT 308 BCG.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Nice 308 build

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Question: can I use a 6.5CM BCG for .308?

I built a 6.5CM rifle a year or so ago but I’ve decided to convert it to .308. I want to do it as cheaply as possible (swap the least amount of parts). Obviously I have to swap the barrel but can the same BCG be used or do I need a .308 specific BCG?

Another question: what’s the best gas length for .308? I’m looking at a 16” or 18” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by officerX; 06-30-20 at 23:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Question: can I use a 6.5CM BCG for .308?

I built a 6.5CM rifle a year or so ago but I’ve decided to convert it to .308. I want to do it as cheaply as possible (swap the least amount of parts). Obviously I have to swap the barrel but can the same BCG be used or do I need a .308 specific BCG?

Another question: what’s the best gas length for .308? I’m looking at a 16” or 18” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, you can use the same BCG.

I have an Armalite in mid that's a 16" and a home build LR308 in rifle length. The rifle is smoother and easier to shoot with.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    The problems I'm seeing are that even when people assemble all the "correct" parts for the buffer/recoil system, we are still seeing impact from the carrier rails on the receiver extension threads at the bottom lead edge of the lower receiver right around the buffer retainer area.

You can mitigate this with washers inside the extension tube, or notching your extension tube to allow another turn or two to locate the buffer bumper collision more forward, but all of this is a result of after-market parts that were never designed and tested by the same team of competent engineers under one roof.
    I originally bought a complete assembled Gen2 PSA lower as it was cheap. IIRC I paid $219 with free shipping. I kept waiting for a either chrome lined, or nitride complete upper from PSA. It never happened. I got a complete Gen3 upper with BCG with an 18" stainless barrel. It ran fine. However it was denting the cases as they were ejecting. I had dings on the lower from the BCG too.

I bought a complete Gen3 lower and swapped it so I have a Gen3/Gen3. It was a Star Wars "Space Cannon" edition. The Gen3 lower is beveled and no strikes on it. No crimping of the cases.

I am building an Aero upper with the only BCG I could find right now that is full auto compatible. https://outdoorsportsusa.com/AR-10-P...-CARRIER-GROUP I got a Brownell's 16" mid gas phosphate barrel with an A2 style FSB. It also has the retainer for a conventional hand guard. Damned thing has a forged/cast in blade front sight Not happy with that at all. I really would like to get a nitride barrel. I got all excited on a mrgunsngear alert on Facebook and ordered it off my phone and didn't read all the specs.

I have been searching for a BA barrel, or other nitride barrel. Out of stock everywhere.

I don't want a floating hand guard. I want to do a Magpul MOE or MLOK. You know, classic carbine look.

Will a regular AR15 Delta ring work on this, or is there a AR10 Delta ring?

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast