Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks very much for the legwork.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caelumatra View Post
    So.. I started typing one up... I'm 1500 words in with links to stores for parts and then to verify some info I find that a lot of the legwork has been done on TOS. So there goes the past 2 hours lol

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/3...date_2012.html
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/413443_.html

I can still go ahead and finish mine so that its "ours" and I'll send it around to a few folks who have done something like my build and send it to IG to fact check and then we'll post it.
    Thanks from me as well. I'm so ready to dip my toe in the AR-10 waters.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    With the boom in the 7.62/.308 AR market recently, I see no reason to even tinker around with a build.
    Unlike 5.56/.223 AR's, the compatibility is not as uniform, making parts selection more tricky. It is still very doable, of course, but unless you are after something very, very specific, to me it seems that the factory complete rifles have most configurations covered.

Now you have Armalite AR-10's (including the AR-10A PMag-compatible series - which I just recently bought), DPMS Gen 1's, GII's, Larue OBR 7.62, PredatAR 7.62, PredatOBR 7.62, KAC SR-25 series, Sig 716, LMT MWS and LM8, PWS MK2 Mod 0 and Mod 1, S&W M&P-10, Colt 901, Ruger SR762, Mega Arms MA-Ten, MKM, Megalithic and their discontinued Monolithic, Seekins Precision just off the top of my head.

Soon you will have Wilson Combat's .308 AR, Rainer Arms' RA-308, and Aero Precision's M5E1 (which I am eagerly awaiting feedback on).

Feedback Score
    The DPMS gen 2 does seem to, by all accounts, be very good. And its very well priced too. The other options are so expensive still that I can see the appeal of building now that there are reasonable priced receiver sets. Before Mega's MaTen was $5-$600 just to get the receivers making the AR308 price exclusive. But now you can get an Aero set or a PSA set for less than $300 which is incredible

I can post my info here but only if we do it as a draft. Maybe we can make the info into its own thread and sticky it later on. But since its been almost 4 years since I built my Ma-Ten, I'd like some feedback on some of the data before we say "Here's the go by info thread on AR308s". Hopefully all the links work from word and I won't need to reformat it for the forum lol. That's a lot of links. I'd like Kevin from KAC to look over it but I dont know if he can give insight because of his affiliation with KAC. Anyway, let me know. I wrote for a few hours yesterday and I stopped when I kind of got to the end of my knowledge at bolts and headspace and stuff. But maybe we can glean some info from those TOS threads and mash them into my write up

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Well I just jumped.
    Placed an order for the Aero .308 M5 set - at that stupid price I simply could no longer wait for a "better" deal. Better than $225.....

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/produc...pped-upper-993
    (and honestly I isn't an Aero fiend....really have been gobbling up the Noveske coolaid & loving it! But really....225????? And I KNOW their receivers are solid.)
    With the above info and chart you guys posted this build should be a piece-o-cake - Thanks!
    My ultimate goal is to have a sub-moa bomb-proof blaster, and even using Rainier's "match" tube I should still be able to come in at under a grand, using (left-over) parts i have laying around.
    Still deciding whether to go with rifle or car RE - this I have to purchase either way. Strongly considering rifle - will make it a much smoother shooter.
    Then later switch to an adjustable stock or my <1K budget will get blown with that alone....

Also - BCG - next to the tube this will matter most for reliability & functioning.
    Any suggestions for this based on experience?

I'll keep track and post info and images of the build.
    And keep a close eye out for "the Chart"....
    Last edited by polydeuces; 11-09-14 at 19:24.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Sweet baby Jebus, $225! Even considering it is a stripped upper, that is a steal......

On the RE, can you do a Vltor RE10? https://www.vltor.com/product/re-10a...ver-extension/

You could get the best of both worlds. Rifle smoothness with carbine length.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I was wondering about the Vltor A5 system on the AP M5 as well. Will the standard 7 position RE-A5 work?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The RE-A5 and RE10 are the same size, you just get one more position on the A5.
    Justin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Sweet baby Jebus, $225! Even considering it is a stripped upper, that is a steal......

On the RE, can you do a Vltor RE10? https://www.vltor.com/product/re-10a...ver-extension/

You could get the best of both worlds. Rifle smoothness with carbine length.
    Quote Originally Posted by n517rv View Post
    I was wondering about the Vltor A5 system on the AP M5 as well. Will the standard 7 position RE-A5 work?
    The VLTOR A5 system is NOT compatible with .308ARs!

That said, you can (and I recommend) using the A5 receiver extension for ease and cost of trying out different buffers, and reliability.

There are two main buffer systems for .308 AR's: AR-10 pattern and LR308 pattern.

The LR308 pattern uses the following parts:
    -AR-15 carbine receiver extension
    -LR308 carbine action spring
    -LR308 short buffer

The AR-10 pattern uses these parts:
    -AR-10 carbine receiver extension (same length as VLTOR A5)
    -AR-10 action spring (rifle and carbine use the same spring)
    -AR-15 H3 carbine buffer

The AR-10 pattern is superior IMO since AR-15 carbine buffers are much cheaper than LR308 short buffers and because it has the same length of travel as original design of the fixed stock (similar to how the A5 system works with an AR-15). Knight's has also said that they saw reliability benefits with the AR-10 pattern system over the LR308 one which is why they don't offer an LR308 buffer system anymore.

Some AR-10 pattern receiver extensions you can buy are: Armalite (6 position), VLTOR (6 and 7 position), PWS .308 Enhanced Buffer Tube (6 position), Knight's (10 position), LaRue (6 position), and POF (7 position). LMT also uses the AR-10 pattern on the MWS, but I haven't seen their receiver extension for sale separately.
    Last edited by Plasman; 11-09-14 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    The VLTOR A5 system is NOT compatible with .308ARs!

That said, you can (and I recommend) using the A5 receiver extension...
    I'm confused by your post. Can you clarify if there is a Vltor A5 model that will work with the Aero Precision M5 308? According to AP, they are a DPMS patterned 308.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast