Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Thank you sir.
    Good things to consider.
    Most likely will go with the Rainier barrel. And yes - their "new and improved" website totally stinks.
    Hope they have to common sense to realize this in a hurry.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Wanted to follow up on our earlier posts, try to keep this current and on topic.
    The links to the info on arf.com is welcome and a lot of stuff to digest, though considering what's happening and will be happening some of is is already somewhat incomplete: clearly there's going to be a surge in building .308 AR's, seeing as how there's a bunch of new players getting into it.
    Several threads here already seem to cover similar issues, clearly demonstrating we're on the right track.

We've already seen there's an utter and total lack of TDP type standardization, so some form of a comprehensive chart showing compatibility and lack thereof would be more than welcome - some of you are already working on this, your efforts are greatly appreciated - I am sure we're all looking forward to the results.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    The "system" isn't compatible (system consisting of A5 RE, A5/M16 rifle spring, and longer A5 buffer).

The A5 receiver extension IS compatible assuming the rest of the buffer system components you use are AR-10 pattern.

You can use an AR-10 buffer system on LR308 receivers.
    I just so happen to have an extra A5 extension laying around, I understand about using the A5/rifle spring; so THIS is what I would need, in addition to an H3 buffer?

Feedback Score
    31 (97%)
    Another option for a collapsible stock buffer system is to use a standard AR/M4 receiver extension with the CAR-10 buffer and spring from www.heavybuffers.com. I have two 308 ARs with this setup. I have yet to see a malfunction after over 2k rounds. If you want a fixed stock, you can use a standard A2 receiver extension with a 308AR fixed stock buffer and spring from the same place. This is an affordable and easy option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTL BRN View Post
    I just so happen to have an extra A5 extension laying around, I understand about using the A5/rifle spring; so THIS is what I would need, in addition to an H3 buffer?
    Yes, if you get the rifle action spring in your link (308BS10B) it'll work with the A5 RE and H3 buffer. Here's a link to the Armalite spring as well.

Quote Originally Posted by weg111 View Post
    Another option for a collapsible stock buffer system is to use a standard AR/M4 receiver extension with the CAR-10 buffer and spring from www.heavybuffers.com. I have two 308 ARs with this setup. I have yet to see a malfunction after over 2k rounds. If you want a fixed stock, you can use a standard A2 receiver extension with a 308AR fixed stock buffer and spring from the same place. This is an affordable and easy option.
    Going with that pattern is far less affordable once you start playing around with buffers. Slash's stuff is nice, but not cheap (you can buy a whole AR-10 pattern buffer system system for the price of one of his buffers!). IMO going this route only makes sense if you bought a rifle that already has this format and you don't know how/have the tools to swap it for an AR-10 pattern to change buffers, or if you need the absolute shortest LOP.
    Last edited by Plasman; 11-12-14 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, if you get the rifle action spring in your link (308BS10B) it'll work with the A5 RE and H3 buffer. Here's Going with that pattern is far less affordable once you start playing around with buffers. Slash's stuff is nice, but not cheap (you can buy a whole AR-10 pattern buffer system system for the price of one of his buffers!). IMO going this route only makes sense if you bought a rifle that already has this format and you don't know how/have the tools to swap it for an AR-10 pattern to change buffers, or if you need the absolute shortest LOP.
    There's no need to play around with buffers. Slash's stuff works and while you're playing around I'm out shooting. I have thousands of trouble free rounds with an 308AR I slapped together. I used a Colt receiver extension and slash's car-10 buffer and spring. Some of you guys are way overthinking this thing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserkr556 View Post
    Some of you guys are way overthinking this thing
    Not really. The CAR-10 buffer is shorter than a standard carbine buffer which translates into the spring being compressed into a tighter space which in turn, is less forgiving and introduces a new set of problems
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserkr556 View Post
    There's no need to play around with buffers. Slash's stuff works and while you're playing around I'm out shooting. I have thousands of trouble free rounds with an 308AR I slapped together. I used a Colt receiver extension and slash's car-10 buffer and spring. Some of you guys are way overthinking this thing.
    Heaven forbid anyone ever wanting to change their buffer to optimize their system more or decide to go suppressed later! **** it, all you people with H, H2, H3 buffers and springco white, blue, green are just wasting your time since a milspec spring and CAR buffer will work! You don't need that extra stuff and are just overthinking it! Just ask any old plinker at the range who's fired thousands of wolf ammo through his AR reliably!

While your at it screw those hand-loaders too! Don't they know factory ammo works just fine? There's no need for them to optimize their loads and play around with things either! Factory ammo just works!

Ludicrous.
    Last edited by Plasman; 11-12-14 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Like I said you play with all of your buffers and colors meanwhile I'm out doing some meaningful shooting. I've shot thousands of rounds, I'd have to look at my log to know the exact number, without one problem and I just shot another 800 rounds today while you were playing with your colors and letters and typing here. You keep typing and playing with colors and letters and I'll go shoot some more ammo. Like I said before, some of you guys are way overthinking the whole thing. But hey don't take my word for it I've only been shooting thousands of rounds while you're trying to match your purse with your shoes.

Heaven forbid anyone ever wanting to change their buffer to optimize their system more or decide to go suppressed later! **** it, all you people with H, H2, H3 buffers and springco white, blue, green are just wasting your time since a milspec spring and CAR buffer will work! You don't need that extra stuff and are just overthinking it! Just ask any old plinker at the range who's fired thousands of wolf ammo through his AR reliably!

While your at it screw those hand-loaders too! Don't they know factory ammo works just fine? There's no need for them to optimize their loads and play around with things either! Factory ammo just works!

Ludicrous.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Let's all lower the temperatures, shall we?

It would be nice if this thread could be a useful reference, rather than a bad example. Let's stay on track, please.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast