Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overgassed MAK 90 options

Feedback Score

Overgassed MAK 90 options

Hello. I have a converted PolyTech MAK90 thats a bit overgassed. The carrier strikes the rear trunnion and the recoil is a little more "abrupt" than my other AKs. I have put a Wolff XP recoil spring in, and it helps a little bit but the carrier is still striking the trunnion most of the time. Im thinking my other options are to either shorten the barrel or get the gas port welded up and redrilled. I have an SLR-107 with a shortened barrel and a pinned and welded brake that I really like, and am kind of leaning toward this option. I would move the sight tower back against the gas block and pin and weld a Battlecomp or a similar muzzle devise. Do I have any other options? Maybe a combo gas block/FSB like a Bolton or Bulgarian?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You could try enlarging or adding to the holes in the gas tube. Replacement gas tubes are pretty easy to find if you want to play around without making permanent changes.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
    You could try enlarging or adding to the holes in the gas tube. Replacement gas tubes are pretty easy to find if you want to play around without making permanent changes.

Has no effect.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Has no effect.
    Correct.

Feedback Score
    I think there are a few companies that make buffers. (A rubber cushion that fits inside the back of the receiver) Not ideal but cheaper than the other options. I've never used one but they do exist.

You could also try a few kinds of ammo and see if any feel less violent in the gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A lot of the PSL guys mod their GB. The drill it out and tap it. Then use set screws with various sizes of holes drilled. Ghetto adjustable gas system.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your only options are welding/re-drilling (or moving) the port or adding the buffer. But, buffers are a recipe for problems.

Of course the option of leaving it as is should be on the table too. The receiver will not mind if you don't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    Your only options are welding/re-drilling (or moving) the port or adding the buffer. But, buffers are a recipe for problems.

Of course the option of leaving it as is should be on the table too. The receiver will not mind if you don't.
    Wouldnt shortening the barrel reduce the dwell time, and reduce the amount of gas back into the action? Would it be enough?
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Im leaning towards saving up a little coin and sending it into Rifle Dynamics for their lightweight front end work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grantoga View Post
    Wouldnt shortening the barrel reduce the dwell time, and reduce the amount of gas back into the action? Would it be enough?
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Im leaning towards saving up a little coin and sending it into Rifle Dynamics for their lightweight front end work.
    It may. Have you measured the port?

Feedback Score
    Some krink guys have notched their piston for running a suppressor, apparently with some success. Do a little at a time until you are getting the result you are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast