Thread: **Range Report added** M1A in Blackfeather, getting ready for testing soon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

**Range Report added** M1A in Blackfeather, getting ready for testing soon

I've posted this on other forums but I figured I'd post it here too for anyone interested in the old war horse. Just to give you all an overview, I was sent this stock system for a no-strings-attached transparent and honest test and evaluation. The following post is purely for informational purposes for anyone interested in the M14.CA Blackfeather chassis system. Other than receiving these products, I have not received any compensation and I have no financial stake in the company. I also reached out to my new friends at Leupold and they sent me this scope to demo for 60 days. The bipod is borrowed from a friend. I do un-biased and un-paid product reviews on M14/M1A products. Enjoy!

I spent about 3 hours trying different configurations the other night, trying to nail down the best combination that would give me the best cheek weld with the scope/base/rings I had. Leupold sent me some nice MK4 rings and I wanted to use them, but they were too high. I went back and forth between the RBS, the A2 stock and the CTR.

I was able to use them with my AR-15 A2 stock and a Bradley cheek rest, but the A2 buttstock does not work well with the Blackfeather. The way the stock meets the pistol grip creates an abrupt angle and does not allow a natural high pistol grip that I like to use when shooting. So off it came, as well as the Leupold rings.

I settled on some Warne steel low rings that I got locally. They were the lowest possible combination that I could find for a 30mm tube. The lowest possible setup would be with an ARMS mount, but this test is for the CASM with the Blackfeather stock, so that's what I have to work with.

The best stock to use would be a Magpul PRS with the adjustable cheek riser, but I'm running low on funds. I bought two different risers for the CTR stock I have on my AR; the low and the medium. Having all the parts here now, the high would have worked better, but the medium riser is workable.

The tube stock they sent me would be nice if it set higher as its the most comfortable, but it's just too low to use effectively with the CASM, a 30mm tube and a 50mm objective lens. I will eventually get a PRS at a later date so I can use the Accushot Monopod.

Once I got all sorted out on a final configuration, I did a thorough install on the CASM mount and I lapped/aligned the Warne rings. I finished installing the scope properly and found a good eye-relief position and leveled the scope as best as I could since I don't have the room to set a plumb line far enough in my house from the work bench.

The next step is to get it zeroed, work it out to 300 yards, then meet up at the club for the 600yd shoots. Once that's all done, I need to head out to Douglas ridge for the 1000yd shoot.

Here's the official parts list:
    -M1A standard, GI barrel
    -Blackfeather stock
    -Leupold Mk4 ER/T TMR reticle, 4.5-14x50, M1 Turrets
    -M14.CA SHG (Scout Hand Guard)
    -CASM-II aluminum mount
    -Warne steel low rings
    -Atas Bipod
    -Magpul CTR stock with medium cheek riser
    -Hogue AR-15 pistol grip
    -M14EBR.US trigger shoe

Oh, and for my final live-fire video, I'm going to extend an open invitation to anyone locally who wants to try out the rifle and get their feedback on it. I already have the guy who runs the tactical sniper matches locally on board and he's going to take her for a spin. I plan on getting novices, moderately experienced and very experienced shooters behind it as well as some active duty military/LEO types.

This rifle, with all the accessories and a full magazine of 20 rounds, weighs 13lb, 14oz.

I got a surprise e-mail last night from Frank at M14.CA. He's been reading my internet posts and I guess I won't be needing that PRS stock or any more cheek risers and I get to use the RBS again. He shipped me one of his latest creations; the HBA (High Buttstock Adapter). It literally puts the stock in-line with the bore and it puts your cheek weld where it needs to be to work with high power scopes.

He just came out with these and I think I vaguely heard about them a little while ago, but it was only mentioned on some Canadian internet posts. This is a limited run and it's not even on their website yet for order.

I'm VERY excited to get this piece of equipment!

Thanks,
    Tony.
    Last edited by tonyben; 11-04-14 at 08:15.
    ----------------
    TonyBen, LLC
    www.tonybenm14.com
    tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So in keeping true to form, there's never a dull range report! I met forum member Freshmen at the range and expected to have a nice lit range. Turns out, there was a power outage a couple of days ago and it messed with the timer system that turns on the night lights and we were unable to activate the flood lights.

Just to the right of the firing line is the parking lot behind a brick wall. One of the shooters drove his pickup to the edge of the brick wall and shined his headlights on the 100yd range. He was unable to shine it on the 50.

So that means we had to zero a new scope on a new mount at 100 yards. Add to the fact that it is very wet and there's no puff of dirt to tell you where you're hitting. I wasted about 12 rounds before I was on paper. Once I found paper, it was smooth sailing from there.

After establishing zero, I put a 3 round group with my plinker ammo in the upper right corner and had Freshmen shoot some SSA 168 grain stuff that he had. Groups were okay.

We put up a fresh target and alternated shooters and ammo. The first group was with the gas off and it was with 6x fired Winchester brass and annealed necks with 125gr TNT's. I shoot anything over 5x fired with gas off. My 5-shot group measured 0.788". Next, Freshmen shot a batch of my 125's and grouped 1.267. After that, we turned the gas back on and I shot a group of 168 FGMM which measured 1.480". Freshmen followed with a batch of SSA 168 which measured 2.096". I fired the last group of the day with my 168gr handloads I use for the 600yd line, 2x fired brass and it measured 1.498"

I'd say that was pretty pleasing results considering there were multiple shooters, multiple ammo types and poor lighting conditions. Average groups sizes with all the inconsistencies averaged 1.4285." In addition, the barrel hasn't been cleaned in around or over 200 rounds.

Now that the scope is on paper, the next trip will be at 200 and 300. Also keep in mind that I don't think either of us had ever shot with a bipod before. We did pre-load the bipod.

Also, don't discount the value of a good trigger shoe! Also, the only reason that we had a successful range trip was because we had good glass! My cheap spotting scope was darn near USELESS in that lighting condition. The 50mm objective on the Leupold really showed it's usefulness!

Tony.
    Last edited by tonyben; 11-04-14 at 08:02.
    ----------------
    TonyBen, LLC
    www.tonybenm14.com
    tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That is a nice, sleek system. Is the gap between the trigger guard and the grip a problem?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    That is a nice, sleek system. Is the gap between the trigger guard and the grip a problem?
    I don't have a problem with it at all. In their development, the gap was set to that distance to optimize comfort. The trigger shoe is the icing on the cake in that regard but it kept falling off. I'm going to red loc-tite it so it's not an issues. I can always break down the red loc-tite with a heat gun if I ever need to replace the trigger.

Tony.
    ----------------
    TonyBen, LLC
    www.tonybenm14.com
    tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the info; I've been tossing the idea of acquiring a chassis for the old war horse.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Thanks for the info; I've been tossing the idea of acquiring a chassis for the old war horse.
    Well if you decide to do it, visit my youtube page. I did a full review and installation series on it so you know what you're in for if you decide to do it.

Tony.
    ----------------
    TonyBen, LLC
    www.tonybenm14.com
    tonyben@tonybenm14.com