Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Great stuff. When I am not carrying my SL Variant loader I use the 2 space 2 method of carrying my rounds in speedstrips.

FYI ... I chose to use DeBethecourt's right handed reload method because I also carry semis. I keep the speedstrip or loader in the rear left pocket ( same place I keep my spare mag for semi carry) that way my natural training method is to use my weak hand to load both semis and revolvers so there is no muscle memory conflicts.
    My chosen method also, this way my off hand always goes to the same place for a reload. My version of DeBethecourt's technique uses my strong hand thumb to push the Smith cylinder release forward as the off hand curls around the pistol helping to push the cylinder out. I use SL variants too. My "snub" is a Smith 3" M13. I'm hoping Colt issues the new Cobra with a 3" tube.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Get some of the TUFF-Strip 8-shot speed strips. (they are cheap, come in packs of two) They are easier to grab and hold onto. And do the same thing, skip rounds where you want your fingers to go. I put five or six on an eight round strip. If I put more they just end up on the ground.

Get several and do all of your reloading from them to build memory.

I never did get an ammo carry pouch. I found if I'm going to thread something else onto my belt I'll just pack a bigger gun. (pistol) It's so easy just to drop the speed strip into a pocket. (Two strips in the same pocket doesn't work well, the rounds clink together and make noise)
    To update, I did get some ammo pouches from Tuff Products. Handy, soft, light, easy to put on. (Wraps around your belt, doesn't need to be "threaded" on)

I use them for an ammo strip or for pocket pistol magazines.

As for the ammo strips, 7 rds on an 8 rd strip fits nicely in the pouch. If I drop one in a pocket it has 8 on it.

I changed how I grasp the strip when loading so I dont need to leave empty spaces for fingers. If I do drop one round during a reload oh well. But i usually don't.

It is faster to draw a second gun than reload a revolver. (4-6 seconds with a speed loader vs 2 or 3) But I can't bring myself to carry a gun and have NO extra ammo for it.

The 19 oz LCR is lighter and more comfortable to carry than even a single stack 9mm. (Unless your counting a Keltec PF9 and similar-grade guns)
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-21-19 at 07:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't bother with ammo pouches, strips, or speedloaders.

In a short range firefight, you won't be able to reload. Has anybody ever successfully done so?

Five or six bangs and a click, and then you're dead. On the way out you might have time to remember this thread, and wish you had a hi-cap semi auto at hand.

Feedback Score
    I have recently enjoyed playing at the range with a 4 inch barreled 8 shot .357 and similar sized moon clip 45ACP/45 Colt revolver.

Holster options have been limited, but I was able to get to a rhythm and speed and reload time better than I predicted. (For decades a SA colt 22LR or Ruger Blackhawk in .357 were hunting side arms and have a painfully slow reload)

I had considered a revolver to be a dated, ridiculous, very suboptimal side arm for protection.

Watching some revolver shooters at matches convinced me to at least gain some more experience.

A dozen or so trips to the range changed my mind from my pre conceived opinion.
    They are a dated, viable, suboptimal sidearm for protection.

If you need to draw and fire and it’s over no problem.
    If you need to draw and fire, and it’s not over and you need to shoot a lot more, and reload and shoot a lot more....

Anyways,
    I enjoyed spending time getting better with them.

I just don’t know where I could fit a snub 38 that I could not fit a G26.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Five or six bangs and a click, and then you're dead. On the way out you might have time to remember this thread, and wish you had a hi-cap semi auto at hand.
    Far more likely that the person dies not having any weapon at all because they didn’t have time or were too lazy to thread on a holster for their semi.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Don't bother with ammo pouches, strips, or speedloaders.

In a short range firefight, you won't be able to reload. Has anybody ever successfully done so?

Either that or there is 4 dead assholes with 18 rounds a piece in their Glocks on the ground next to them.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes. Mr. Miculek. Three things to consider:

1. We aren't Jerry. He can shoot like Jose Altuve hits, or makes the double play. We don't have the talent.

2. Jerry is a pro. He does this 8 hours a day. We don't.

3. Say what you will; Jerry's still only on the one way shooting range.

In an urban encounter with the Jackboys, a revolver runs out of gas and you die.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Far more likely that the person dies not having any weapon at all because they didn’t have time or were too lazy to thread on a holster for their semi.
    No, no he is right. If you carry a revolver then you are a dead man walking. The streets were littered with bodies of poorly armed citizens for 100+ years before semi-autos became the norm.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score

Here is my solution to the J frame question:

3 guns
    S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum
    S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Sometimes other considerations preclude carry of certain pistols.
    I carry IWB in order to effectively conceal a belt gun.
    My issue Glock 23, as I have gotten older, presses on the nerves on my hip at the muzzle and causes pain since I have had my slipped disc and sciatica bout in ‘16.
    Thanks to my newly elected Sheriff, I now have two revolvers on the off duty carry books. A 3” M64 NY-1 is carried IWB and my 442-2 goes in the pocket with one speed strip loaded with two round pairs along with a Galco 2x2x2 pouch at 1:00.
    The K Smith, while a little heavier than my Glocks, does not aggravate my hip.
    If I do my job, these guns will do theirs.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 01-25-20 at 05:44.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast