Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All- Whether a snub enthusiast or explorer, consider taking a box of ammo to the range and trying different methods out for yourself. If you have a shot timer of some sort, consider adding your own data to the knowledge base here.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    HKS speedloader? Doing the twist is for Chubby Checker. I prefer Safariland Comp I/II's, JetLoaders and SL Variants.

The ruger ejector rod is sturdy. I spanked the baby all weekend at HiTS with zero issues.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    Also consider never again loading a revolver directly from your box of ammunition. Instead, make a habit of putting cartridges in your loading device of choice and use the loader to charge the cylinder.

Feedback Score
    I thought about trying this for myself but I'll skip it after finding your results.

Thanks for doing this, you findings correlated with my guess about what my results would be. I dnot have the same speed loaders but I don't think that would change anything.

I use speed strips for all my loading to build memory. I don't think I will carry a speed loader they are pretty bulky. I'm looking into this currently because I want to leave the g19 (which i carry a spare mag and snub as 2nd) at home some days this summer and carry a snub iwb and a 2nd gun in pocket. I'd like to carry a reload for either the snub or the pocket pistol but not both. Then again I may just put a reload for each in my vehicle and carry a knife instead.

I'll add that carrying a second gun isn't just as a backup. It's also another choice. I have yet to find a draw quicker than already having a firing grip on the gun.

Anyway right now im thinking reloading the pocket auto or drawing a knife should both be faster and easier than reloading the revolver. But the revolver has the accuacy and full-caliber advantages.Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-25-16 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Excellent thread thank you for posting! I've recently started training with my 642 again and have been toying with the hks speed loader. I need to snag some speed strips as I think they're s better option for actual reload carry.

Feedback Score
    Awesome thread and food for thought. I'll never be as fast as he is in the video but agree with practicing loading with my two HKS speedloaders so if and when the time ever comes. Also makes me wonder about the reliability of the Taurus ejector rod-or should I say the durability after many fast reloads have been done?
    Thanks for posting this!
    3rd Generation Veteran, (USN) that has always fought for our 2nd amendment rights.
    Molen Labe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My formal firearms training is minimal but will share what caused my first on the range ass chewing. The weapon was S&W M-65. I was dumping empties into my hand instead of on the ground. Bad habit from saving brass for reloading. Anybody here making that mistake?

Remember that if you're shooting one of the J frames in .357 and using .357 mag loads, the mag round is 1/10 inch longer and may be very prone to hanging up on the extractor star.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post

Remember that if you're shooting one of the J frames in .357 and using .357 mag loads, the mag round is 1/10 inch longer and may be very prone to hanging up on the extractor star.
    Yea, If reloading is part of your plans it's best to keep those chambers clean for best extraction.

Like you said especially with .357 ammo. Nickel plated casings help a little IMO. It's something to be aware of. I don't get Geco (German) .357 ammo anymore because extraction is often sticky. I would have to put the rod against a wood bench and push on the cylinder or smack it with a plastic mallet to get a casing out sometimes. The LCR ejector rod has held up. I think (I hope) I've used all of the Geco .357 I had. It's also full power and kicks hard.

Geco's .38 special LRN ammo is really pleasant to fire, easy to extract, pretty accurate and clean, too. Remington 110 gr SJHP is what I practice most of my .357 mag shooting with. (It's not a full power load. Rated less velocity than the 125 gr and much less recoil/blast) Recoil is barely any more than .38 +p.

I got some .38 Short Colt (Or what Magtech calls ".38 Special Short") ammo to see if the LCR extractor would push them all the way out. Nope! But damn near, they pop out real easy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan6114 View Post
    I'll never be as fast as he is in the video
    Video? I wanna see! Link?

Feedback Score
    Started my law enforcement career back in the revolver days. We went through the progression from dump pouches, to speed strips, to hks speed loaders. No doubt that speed loaders are much quicker, and generally eliminate dropped rounds.

It wasn't uncommon for LEO's to dump empties into their hand until a few were killed in shoot outs and found with the empties in their hand, and an empty gun. Training then changed to stress a straight cylinder dump onto the ground

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast