Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

Feedback Score
    I've been practicing. The round loaders are much faster, but I'm not going to carry those bulky things.

I have found that from empty gun, to pulling a loading strip out of my pocket, back to loaded gun on target typical takes 7-10 seconds if I don't mess up.

Seven seconds is only loading 4 cartridges and closing cylinder with empty chamber straight up. While this speeds up the total time a little of the time saved is lost during the cylinder indexing. This is also takes the eyes off our threat for a moment more.

This is what I can do with perfect circumstances. Trying to do this while moving, dropping a round, having a stubborn brass needing to be pulled out, etc can easily increase the time. Of course stress will add time, too.

I also found that reloading my pocket pistol, even with no last shot hold-open, takes half the time or less to reload than my LCR from strips. I'd rather have the weaker and higher capacity pocket pistol back in action than spend the extra 5-? seconds working to reload the revolver.

I'll carry a pocket pistol to back up the revolver. If I feel the need to carry reloads, I'll carry reloads for the pistol. (Or carry my Glock 19 )

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Best snub by trainers these days (in no particular order) are Michael deBethencourt, Grant Cunningham & Claude Werner.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    You guys reload those strips pretty freaking fast. I almost exclusively carry a 642 these days due to required attire. In a Smartcarry I can literally conceal a 642 in boxers or board shorts and no t-shirt. The strips allow for reloads much better than bulky speed loaders, but I can't load them things fast at all. I mean it is a lonngggg process.

Great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    My formal firearms training is minimal but will share what caused my first on the range ass chewing. The weapon was S&W M-65. I was dumping empties into my hand instead of on the ground. Bad habit from saving brass for reloading. Anybody here making that mistake?
    Me!
    I still cringe when I dump my nickel plated 38 brass on to the ground, but I can always clean them later...
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-02-16 at 09:13.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I almost exclusively carry a 642 these days due to required attire. In a Smartcarry I can literally conceal a 642 in boxers or board shorts and no t-shirt.
    Sounds hot. Pics?
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    One nice thing about strips is they are cheap.

Much cheaper than round loaders. Also strip loaders work with all revolvers.

I have a couple dozen of the 8-shot strips. I load each with 5 rounds and when I practice I only reload with them. Builds memory. But it will never be a fast operation.

I use the 8-shot strips because they always stand up in pocket and give you more to find/grip. I load two on the end, then a space, then two, a space, then one.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-03-16 at 06:43.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Sounds hot. Pics?
    I made a post in one of these forums about a year ago. It should still be up.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Video? I wanna see! Link?
    First page of the thread:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjRTdXvjBmE
    3rd Generation Veteran, (USN) that has always fought for our 2nd amendment rights.
    Molen Labe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like the technique demonstrated by Michael de Bethencourt. The only variation to the technique that I use is that I do not move the thumb of the strong hand to the hammer and use it to activate the cylinder release.

As Massad Ayoob pointed out in the follow up video, you do not want to use a technique used in a PPC match to reload under stress.

A J Frame is not the best option for a defensive handgun, but it is easily concealed and properly operated can still be effective.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A few notes on MdB:

1. That is the most serious I have ever seen Michael. He is something of a joker. (Michael once introduced a fellow instructor by saying that the instructor would demonstrate a technique for one-handed, off-hand revolver reloading. The poor guy had no such technique in mind. To his credit, he was game and ad libbed one on the spot. It involved a sock.)

2. Michael spent some time finding retired police snub shooters and asking them about their techniques, before they were lost to time and semi-autos. As I recall, the technique he demonstrates in the video is from Canada.

3. Michael has also discussed the "Newhall Incident" in his classes. One alternative method that might have saved at least one officer's life was the "load two, shoot two" technique. I have not been able to get to the OP's speed with any method, so I might have to resort to that to prevent getting rushed. Flexibility is important, even as we search and practice for speedy reloads.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    I don't think of any of my snubbies as primary. I have automatic for that job. I do have HKS for my S&W 637 38 and they work fairly well, I also use HKS For my Taurus 605 (357/38). I have Tuff Strips for 38/357 too as they are universal, A handy leather pouch for a strip with 38's. The 38 Strips work with .40 S&W also and I have a Charter Arms Pitbull in 40 and last week bought one in 9. I am looking for one in 45. Pitbull's are fairly well made, all of them including the 9 MM are large frame, so not as concealable as I first thought when I was one of the first to get a 40. It shoots well, I have not shot the 9. Speed loaders are not an option for a Pitbull. Speed Strips are the only real option for a Pitbull. When unloading you swing the cylinder out and then depress the ejection rod and two or three empty rounds will fall off the star, but a gentle shake will be needed to get the others to fall., it is then normal. If you happen to be unlading unfired rounds, you will need that rod all the way in and shake some more. The little spring loaded retainers in each cylinder hole will prevent rounds from just dropping in, they have to be pushed in to get the retainer to retract until the round's notch in the case comes by and the retainer snaps in it just below the rim. I like having one in my carry auto's caliber, thinking if something went wrong with my primary I might have extra ammo for my backup. These guns are big though, that kind of negates some of that thinking.
    I do have three Ruger LCRs, one 8 shooter in 22LR that is fun to shoot, one 38 5 shooter, that I never carry and a 6 shooter 327 Federal Magnum that I do carry all winter in my coat or jacket. The 327 is a pleasure to shoot with 32 H&R Magnum rounds, but a real pain to shoot with hardwood grips and 327 Federal. I have switched to the longer Hogue Tamer grip, but I have not shot it with those yet. I do carry two Tuff strip spares
    I need to shoot my revolvers more.
    Last edited by Pandaz3; 03-06-16 at 09:44.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast