Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Tactical 5R in .223

Feedback Score

Remington 700 Tactical 5R in .223

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...T+5R+223+24%22

I am in no way related to Bud's Gunshop. I just wanted to pass on what I thought is a phenomenal deal. I needed a low recoiling hunting rifle for my 14 year old daughter (small Texas White Tails and coyotes mostly) and I stumbled on this. It seems to be a special run that Remington did for a distributor. It looks like they were initially selling for around $1,100. Well, they must not have sold very well because the huge retailers like Buds and Grabagun are selling them for under $700. I couldn't pass it up for $689.

I'm not a fan of Remington's entry level rifles these days....I think the quality has slipped some and they can be hit or miss. But this isn't an entry level rifle. The barrel is their 5R, 24" Sendaro (heavy) contour. It's Cerakoted....as a matter of fact the entire barreled action is Cerakoted. And instead of their crappy entry Tupperware stock this is a decent (if not stellar) B&C M40 model with the full aluminum bedding block. The bolt action is just their basic push feed but it's really smooth. A lot better than the AAC-SD I bought a couple of years ago. The fit and finish of this rifle is really excellent all the way around. Even the X-Mark Pro trigger is OK. It's kind of heavy but it breaks clean. Heavy is OK for my 14 year old's hunting rifle. I took it out yesterday and it shot lights out...much more accurate than me (or my daughter I'm sure).

Anyway....if there is anyone else out there like me looking for something ready to go out of the box, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

Be safe!

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    Before anyone chastises me for using a .223, those 75 grain heavy bullets do just fine on the small white tails we've got in north central Texas.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What's the twist in that rifle? IIRC, it's 1:12 or 1:10, which I don't think will be enough to stabilize a long bullet. I was interested in a .223 version of the 700, but stayed away due to the slow twist. Give me a 5.56 chamber with 1:8 and I'd be game.

Edit - looks like 1:9, which may be OK with 75 grain bullets, not so sure of anything heavier.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 11-07-14 at 16:49.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Edit - looks like 1:9, which may be OK with 75 grain bullets, not so sure of anything heavier.
    We shoot 80 gr Sierras through a silencer on Pappabears 1/9 5R.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    Anyway....if there is anyone else out there like me looking for something ready to go out of the box, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.
    Does it really have a 24" barrel?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We shoot 80 gr Sierras through a silencer on Pappabears 1/9 5R.
    That is good to know!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Mine came that way. I always assumed you had chopped yours down to 20". Just to be sure, I measured mine, and it is indeed 24". My local shop has both the 24" and the 20" threaded ones in stock, but I don't think I ever saw a 20" 223 until the threaded ones came out.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    What's the twist in that rifle? IIRC, it's 1:12 or 1:10, which I don't think will be enough to stabilize a long bullet. I was interested in a .223 version of the 700, but stayed away due to the slow twist. Give me a 5.56 chamber with 1:8 and I'd be game.

Following Markm's lead I've had no problems with 77 grain SMKs in the same rifle, but with a 24 inch barrel. (I was using his loads.)
    Last edited by opngrnd; 11-11-14 at 09:31. Reason: Added load reference.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Mine came that way. I always assumed you had chopped yours down to 20". Just to be sure, I measured mine, and it is indeed 24". My local shop has both the 24" and the 20" threaded ones in stock, but I don't think I ever saw a 20" 223 until the threaded ones came out.
    Yeah... that's what Pappabear runs... the SS threaded 20" with the greenish stock. I sure get tempted at these deals.... until I remember the cost of the Scope that would go on top of the gun.

Feedback Score
    Every single add for this gun lists the barrel as 20" in the description line. But it kept conflicting with the specs listed in the same adds. So Bud's pulled one and measured it for me before I got it. All of them are 24"

Heavyweight

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast