Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Remington 700 Tactical 5R in .223

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Let me know if you find a load that works.
    I've tried
    Bullets: 75 gr A-max, 69 SMK, 77gr SMK and hornady 55gr FMJ and SP.
    Powders: BL-C(2), Benchmark, IMR 4064

Some of the ladder tests looked promising but the groups have flyers and grouped poorly.

The factory 55 gr fmj shoots the best with 3/4 MOA. I am getting 1.5 MOA maybe 1 MOA at best with hand loads. I did shoot a 3 shot clover leaf with 24.5 gr of varget and the 69 gr SMK but I have less than a lb and can't find any more. The other three powders I have in bulk.

I'm beginning to think the 1/9 twist doesn't like the heavy bullets because the 75 gr a-max start opening up at distance. I though maybe, just maybe the 24" barrel would shoot the heavy bullets okay even with the slow twist. The 75 gr a-max shot well at 100 yards but I guess they are loosing stability at longer distances. I don't want to shoot 75 gr bullets if they are only good for 100 yards.
    Next I'll try the 50+gr a-max bullets, but I hate to go that low of bc and bullet weight because I bought this for a cheap shooting, gong pinger at longer ranges.

I didn't buy this as a match gun to shoot one holers, but I want it to shoot 3/4 MOA.
    Last edited by ace4059; 04-06-15 at 22:54.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Let me know if you find a load that works.
    I've tried
    Bullets: 75 gr A-max, 69 SMK, 77gr SMK and hornady 55gr FMJ and SP.
    Powders: BL-C(2), Benchmark, IMR 4064

Some of the ladder tests looked promising but the groups have flyers and grouped poorly.

The factory 55 gr fmj shoots the best with 3/4 MOA. I am getting 1.5 MOA maybe 1 MOA at best with hand loads. I did shoot a 3 shot clover leaf with 24.5 gr of varget and the 69 gr SMK but I have less than a lb and can't find any more. The other three powders I have in bulk.

I'm beginning to think the 1/9 twist doesn't like the heavy bullets because the 75 gr a-max start opening up at distance. I though maybe, just maybe the 24" barrel would shoot the heavy bullets okay even with the slow twist. The 75 gr a-max shot well at 100 yards but I guess they are loosing stability at longer distances. I don't want to shoot 75 gr bullets if they are only good for 100 yards.
    Next I'll try the 50+gr a-max bullets, but I hate to go that low of bc and bullet weight because I bought this for a cheap shooting, gong pinger at longer ranges.

I didn't buy this as a match gun to shoot one holers, but I want it to shoot 3/4 MOA.

Will do, but my results may not be of much use to you. I only shoot at 100 yards (I have no access to longer ranges) and have no chrono. I'm only interested in groupings, not velocity.
    How's your result with IMR 4064? It is one of my most accurate powder in both 223 and 308.
    I never found a good load with Benchmark on my CZ 527(also a 1/9 twist) but have yet to try it on the Rem 5R.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    I'm beginning to think the 1/9 twist doesn't like the heavy bullets because the 75 gr a-max start opening up at distance.
    We shoot up to 80 gr SMKs. 77 Noslers shoot sub MOA past 1000 yards. I don't love your powder selection. I'd recommend XBR or H322 with WOLF/TULA primers.

We also shot a 1/4 MOA group last weekend with the 77 gr polymer tipped SMKs with XBR and WOLF primers.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I purchased some federal match ammo with the 69 gr smk and hornady match with the 75 gr amax. I'll see if those shoot under 3/4 moa with this gun. If so the. I kown what the gun is capable of, I'll just have to find the right combanation of powder and primers.

Markm, those powders were not my first choice, but it's all I could find so I'm trying to make due.
    Bought the benchmark and blc2 for plinking with the 223 and the 4064 for my 308.

I don't have the chrono numbers in front of me but there was a fairly good spread on the loads. I remember you saying the Tula primers have the most consistent velocities.

Has anyone looked at the price increase of the gun from buds? It's now over a grand. Yikes.
    Last edited by ace4059; 04-08-15 at 19:06. Reason: Autocorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We shoot up to 80 gr SMKs. 77 Noslers shoot sub MOA past 1000 yards. I don't love your powder selection. I'd recommend XBR or H322 with WOLF/TULA primers.

We also shot a 1/4 MOA group last weekend with the 77 gr polymer tipped SMKs with XBR and WOLF primers.
    How well does xbr meter in your Dillon? I've got a 20" custom 223 coming and I've been over loading 77s and varget for a while. It is not my idea of fun. I'm going to try some cfe223 as well since it meters awesome. Would love to get down to 2 powders for all my 223 loading. I've got a ton of 335 so that'll be my mass blasting powder then if I can get cfe or xbr to run 62s and higher I'll be happy. I want all my 223 loading to be done on the Dillon from here on out. I'll resize then tumble and trim, then run it through the Dillon for loading.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910