Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Tactical 5R in .223

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    What's the twist in that rifle? IIRC, it's 1:12 or 1:10, which I don't think will be enough to stabilize a long bullet. I was interested in a .223 version of the 700, but stayed away due to the slow twist. Give me a 5.56 chamber with 1:8 and I'd be game.

Edit - looks like 1:9, which may be OK with 75 grain bullets, not so sure of anything heavier.
    Correct....it's 1:9

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    Every single add for this gun lists the barrel as 20" in the description line. But it kept conflicting with the specs listed in the same adds. So Bud's pulled one and measured it for me before I got it. All of them are 24"

Heavyweight
    Yeah... makes sense that it's a special run and has a different barrel on it. I can't decide if I'd like a 24" barrel or not on a 223 bolt gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah... makes sense that it's a special run and has a different barrel on it. I can't decide if I'd like a 24" barrel or not on a 223 bolt gun.
    Yeah....I figure you have a different kind of end use in mind. What is it with .223? Powder is completely consumed after about 11 inches of barrel? But for a very small statured 14 year old girl in the deer blind....perfect. Who am I kidding....I'll end up bedding it in a McMillan stock for myself and getting my daughter a Howa.

I was farting around B&S guns in Garland, TX the other day and they have them selling for $1,099 plus tax. Unbelievable. Just goes to show it always pays to do your homework.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    What is it with .223? Powder is completely consumed after about 11 inches of barrel?
    I've read that from gun rag "experts". But quick load software and chronograph results will tell you otherwise. You could push a 77 gr OTM to 2800 fps with that gun I bet.

But for a very small statured 14 year old girl in the deer blind....perfect. Who am I kidding....I'll end up bedding it in a McMillan stock for myself and getting my daughter a Howa.
    No doubt about that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Dammit!!!!!!!
    If it had a 20" threaded barrel I'd be all over that....
    Would make a great entry level precision bolt gun.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks, that is the exact stock/caliber setup I've been looking for (not hard looking lol) a while now! That is so tempting!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Dammit!!!!!!!
    If it had a 20" threaded barrel I'd be all over that....
    Would make a great entry level precision bolt gun.
    $65 at our friendly local gunsmith would make that barrel 20" and threaded.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    If I get around to suppressing mine in a few years, I'll likely cut it to 20" We have a guy that seems to do nothing more than cut and thread rifle barrels, and his work is highly regarded.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    If I get around to suppressing mine in a few years,
    Suppressed .223 in bolt gun is about as good as it gets. It's like shooting a 1000 yard capable pellet gun. Truly hearing safe behind the gun, almost no recoil, and great accuracy over a long distance.

Feedback Score
    I shoot 75gr AMAXs from my 24 inch 223 and have never had a problem ringing the steel at our local matches out to 550yds. Looks like an amazing deal, I might have to pick one up for the wife and son. Has anyone tried the "make an offer" for these?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast