Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is currently the best "main battle rifle"/"heavy carbine" on the market?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd like to stay under 2k but I see a lot of people advocating the Scar 17, as I suspected I might. It is a bit pricier than I'd like to go but at this point I won't rule it out, though it would be a little while before I could save up the funds for one.
    The MAS 49/56 is an interesting suggestion, as I said I'm not really ruling anything out at this point. I was considering a .308 Vepr or Saiga, or perhaps a PSL in 7.62x54R but those have either dried up or are now going for greatly inflated prices for what they are.
    Just asking for the hell of it, but any opinions on the FN-49?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SCAR 17S. It really is that awesome. Best way to put it. Light weight, accurate, reliable as you can get, with great ergonomics. Major downside is price, as FN is proud of these things. Mags are relatively pricey, but generally available these days.

If you really are on a budget, the DSA or PTR offerings may be worth considering. I don't have any experience with DSA, but have heard good things. I do have a PTR 91GI and love it. It is not a SCAR, but it is a good all around battle rifle. Cheap parts, and mags, and that's always nice.

Feedback Score
    I love my SCAR 17. Though if you want something a little cheaper, you could consider the Colt 901. I've never been interested in the "modularity" aspect of it, but I may buy one eventually just to have a .308 Colt! Keep in mind its heavier than the SCAR 17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    I use the MAS 49/56 in 7.5x54 for this role. I find it an excellent all around battle rifle with a very effective caliber, similar to .308.

And is is a DI rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I'd like to stay under 2k but I see a lot of people advocating the Scar 17, as I suspected I might. It is a bit pricier than I'd like to go but at this point I won't rule it out, though it would be a little while before I could save up the funds for one.
    The MAS 49/56 is an interesting suggestion, as I said I'm not really ruling anything out at this point. I was considering a .308 Vepr or Saiga, or perhaps a PSL in 7.62x54R but those have either dried up or are now going for greatly inflated prices for what they are.
    Just asking for the hell of it, but any opinions on the FN-49?
    Larsen Firearms in WA state has pretty phenomenal prices on the 17s and mags. A friend recently bought one and paid under $2500 shipped.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I was considering a .308 Vepr or Saiga,
    I would recommend a Saiga 16" 7.62x51mm (.308) as myself and several of my friends own this rifle and experenced zero issues. 10,15,20 and 25rd magazines are available and quality optic mounts are reasonably priced. The Saiga 7.62x51 is a true Russian made AK which was beefed up in several areas to handle the caliber and the 16" barreled Saiga's we shoot are easily capable of engaging man sized steel targets out to 500yds. I still see the Saiga's in local shops selling for under $500.00 and on line for $699.00
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 11-09-14 at 15:12.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I don't thank that anyone can honestly claim that there is a singular "best" in this category.

There are a lot of factors to consider and assign weight to for a determination of effectiveness/efficiency.

I will happily state that an SR-25 E2 ACC is my favorite "battle rifle", but it shows a level of precision (and associated cost) that many simply do not need or are concerned with. There are a few AR based 7.62 guns that are solid performers, and a whole lot of new-comers. Some of those new-comers will turn out to be great, I am sure, but many other will fall by the wayside. They vary pretty significantly in cost, precision, function, longevity, and support.

The SCAR-17 satisfies a lot of users, and does a lot right, however, there are aspects of the gun that throw it out of consideration for others.

The FAL is a great rifle, if kept in the proper format and with appropriate expectation of performance. I'm not personally a fan of M14 or G3 based guns, but there are plenty of folks that simply like those type of guns and are happy with them.

The AK-based 7.62x54R rifles are best when kept at long barrel lengths. 16" loses a lot of the performance of the cartridge, and is related to the twist rate found in them.

The first step is to decide what base platform one wants, and then to narrow down specifics.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I don't thank that anyone can honestly claim that there is a singular "best" in this category.

There are a lot of factors to consider and assign weight to for a determination of effectiveness/efficiency.

I will happily state that an SR-25 E2 ACC is my favorite "battle rifle", but it shows a level of precision (and associated cost) that many simply do not need or are concerned with. There are a few AR based 7.62 guns that are solid performers, and a whole lot of new-comers. Some of those new-comers will turn out to be great, I am sure, but many other will fall by the wayside. They vary pretty significantly in cost, precision, function, longevity, and support.

The SCAR-17 satisfies a lot of users, and does a lot right, however, there are aspects of the gun that throw it out of consideration for others.

The FAL is a great rifle, if kept in the proper format and with appropriate expectation of performance. I'm not personally a fan of M14 or G3 based guns, but there are plenty of folks that simply like those type of guns and are happy with them.

The AK-based 7.62x54R rifles are best when kept at long barrel lengths. 16" loses a lot of the performance of the cartridge, and is related to the twist rate found in them.

The first step is to decide what base platform one wants, and then to narrow down specifics.
    What new comers in the AR platform would you say will come and last in a 7.62 you mentioned?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You guys are gonna talk me into another SCAR 17...

Feedback Score
    Saiga 308 20" with a 2.5-10, converted to pistol-grip, surefire 25rd mags, your choice of stock, and you should be good to go for a great budget rifle. Its not a match rifle, but my buddy's was accurate enough with wolf for what I would imagine most mean with "battle rifle".

More $ or accuracy, look elsewhere(although I don't know what a capable shooter can do with match ammo). I think AKs in general are the best bet for budget rifles, as long as you know what you are getting.

Colt 901 looks great on paper, but I don't know about availability.
    M&P10 has been getting good reviews, but I don't have anything else for you.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast