Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock grip reductions and grip plugs

Feedback Score
    I personally use grip plugs as a means to fill and blend the heat shaped magwells that I do on the Glock. Very good improvement in feeding, with no practical downsides.

Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    That's what I told my wife later.
    Glock armorer is as impressive as a NRA instructor.
    This is how I look at it. Not trying to be critical of these certifications as I hold most of the NRA and Glock certs myself but I do not automatically assume a great deal of knowledge from those individuals who might hold those certifications. There are extremely knowledgeable people who happen to have them, but on the other hand I have seen some very uninformed or lesser skilled individuals pass those courses. Many that I would not suggest as a shooting instructor or one to work on your Glock.

Feedback Score
    Of course he mentioned he is a Glock armorer.
    I also played a Dr. on TV.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by medic75 View Post
    I also played a Dr. on TV.

Did you actually contribute anything to this thread?

This isn't Arfcom.
    Don't post just to up your post count.

"Some people have really got something to say.
    Others just want to say something."
    This is paraphrasing a quote from one of our moderators, but you get the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    ...There are extremely knowledgeable people who happen to have them, but on the other hand I have seen some very uninformed or lesser skilled individuals pass those courses. Many that I would not suggest as a shooting instructor or one to work on your Glock.
    I met a guy who completed a certified Glock armorer's course and did not even know how to strip the gun down; he thought it was funny. Exceptions like him are the lowest common denominator, like the hung over college student who is barely conscious throughout class yet still ends up with a degree.

As far as the OP's comments from the gun shop - I've never had an issue using plugs in the Glock frames. I've also never had any issues after running a properly grip chopped gun (and I've done quite a few of them on customer guns).

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I had zero issues running my chopped/reduced 17 during Mac's TAPS class one cold and rainy October.
    The gun did get wet, but the filled backstrap didn't cause any problems.
    I feed my Glocks steel case for training classes, so it got plenty dirty as well.
    Pistol ran great, wish I could say as much about it's driver!
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
    I met a guy who completed a certified Glock armorer's course and did not even know how to strip the gun down; he thought it was funny. Exceptions like him are the lowest common denominator, like the hung over college student who is barely conscious throughout class yet still ends up with a degree.

As far as the OP's comments from the gun shop - I've never had an issue using plugs in the Glock frames. I've also never had any issues after running a properly grip chopped gun (and I've done quite a few of them on customer guns).
    Basically all you do is take the gun down 10-15 times and put it back together in the Glock Armorer course. There's also a few diagnostic things, but really if you don't come away with knowing how to do a detailed strip you probably have a serious learning disability or memory disorder.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevN View Post
    Basically all you do is take the gun down 10-15 times and put it back together in the Glock Armorer course. There's also a few diagnostic things, but really if you don't come away with knowing how to do a detailed strip you probably have a serious learning disability or memory disorder.
    And in this armorer's course, do they mention the importance of an open back strap channel for pressure?

Feedback Score
    And in this armorer's course, do they mention the importance of an open back strap channel for pressure?
    I don't recall anything mentioned in mine about pressure. I have heard the drainage argument before but I don't think it came up in class. For me, I like to run them when possible but I don't feel bad when I don't. I have had mud get corked in the bottom of an unplugged G17 to the point where it was dripping into the trigger mech but it did not cause any impact. Still i thought it was a good argument FOR running a plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That is originally what they were designed for correct?
    Keeping debris from getting into the trigger mechanism?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I do use the hell out of them, and the Glock extractor isn't exactly gentle on them. When that happened I was almost in disbelief in regards to hearing how they are needed to keep BS out of the trigger.

Reloads are the same reason I use the grip plug. Starting to rethink that due to playing with a buddy's grip chop the other day that had neither the backstrap filled, or the magwell re-beveled. It was just as fast. Makes sense, the standard isn't flared so it really makes no difference.
    i don't find that the grip plug helps the speed of the reload, but more the reliability. the back edge of the magazine tip on a standard glock mag has the steel insert exposed which creates a step. the area the grip plug fills has several angles and several edges that the step can snag on. without the factory semicircular cut out you have much less angles and ledges for the step on the magazine to snag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12