Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 300BLK in an SBR - practicality

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have two .300 SBRs. An AAC SBR upper and a Liberty Leonidas integrally suppressed SBR upper.

Both for hog hunting with subsonic ammo, suppressors, NV and thermal. I hunt a lot with them. I also reload for it.

Everything else can be done by calibers better suited than .300Black SBR -in my opinion.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    I have two .300 SBRs. An AAC SBR upper and a Liberty Leonidas integrally suppressed SBR upper.

Both for hog hunting with subsonic ammo, suppressors, NV and thermal. I hunt a lot with them. I also reload for it.

Everything else can be done by calibers better suited than .300Black SBR -in my opinion.
    The Leonidas is hot! Definitely the quietest AR setup you can go with. It meters right around where bolt/handi rifles meter with 9" cans.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can get the fiocchi 150 gr for about $.57/ea in 300blk brass. It's not an optimal bullet, fiocchi admits, but it uses an existing bullet to be cheap.

I'm gonna get some and then reload it starting next year.

Feedback Score
    We all know that 5.56mm is not very good with short barrels. 300 BLK is good with short barrels. I am talking supersonic.

It has less noise, blast, flash and more effective terminal ballistics in a short barrel than 5.56mm. Most people are willing to go down to 10-11.5 inches with 5.56mm. With 300 BLK, you can go down to 6 inches all day. I have a 5 inch and have never had a single malfunction.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Blackout does a couple of things very well:
    • It’s more efficient in a shorter barrel than a 556 SBR. A 9-inch long .300 BLK barrel gives the AR-15 nearly 25% more muzzle energy than a 9-inch barrel shooting the 5.56
    • It uses all your existing 556 gear – mags, replacement parts, load outs, etc...
    • It’s very quiet compared to a 556 when using subsonic ammo
    • It hits harder than 556
    • It’s an awesome round if you are within a 300 yard window
    • It uses 556 brass and 308 projectiles so it is very easy to reload

So what’s all that mean? Some use cases:
    If you live an urban environment it’s an awesome defense gun because most of the time your in the 300 yard window.
    It's a good home defense gun as its short even with a can on the end
    If you live in a somewhat rural environment it’s a great gun to shoot in the backyard with a can because it’s so quite.
    Great for hunting deer and hogs.

I use mine for all the use cases listed above. Would I get rid of my 556 guns or uppers - hell no!

To answer your question why not have both. Get the BCM upper now and look for a used blk upper in the future. You already have the 30 cal can so your ahead of the game there. If you see a good deal on an upper snatch it up, see if you like it, and if not dump the upper on EE.
    themonk nails it pretty well. If you hunt hogs or need a sub 10" barrel, the 300 offers you an option.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for all of the info guys.

Again, I don't hunt nor do I reload. Those two factors really keep me away from the 300BLK, but I have an SBR lower with nothing on top of it, a spare AAC 762SD and I'm trying to find something fun to do with it.

An 8" 300BLK might be a good choice, even if I won't get to fire it all day long without taking out a signature loan.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks for all of the info guys.
    Again, I don't hunt nor do I reload. Those two factors really keep me away from the 300BLK, but I have an SBR lower with nothing on top of it, a spare AAC 762SD and I'm trying to find something fun to do with it.
    An 8" 300BLK might be a good choice, even if I won't get to fire it all day long without taking out a signature loan.
    Unless you have a specific task for it, just let that SBR lower sit and look sexy. If a deal comes up you can't live without, go for it (the 9" AAC upper is so awesome my 10.5" 5.56 upper wound up being a clone visually); if you want something outright entertaining for that lower you can go with a short dedicated .22lr upper, pick up a 'dated' 5.56 SBR upper, or even an older S&W 300Whisper upper to placehold/amuse yourself with.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You can build a .300 Blackout for little coin. I saw Noveske barrels today for 350.00. Uppers are everywhere and so are components. If you have a suppressor already that's icing on the cake.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A few years ago, I pieced together one out of a cast off AAC barrel i bought at a great price, parts I had laying around, and a desire to know if this was a viable hunting rifle. It is.

And I found out I would like this for self defese also. With sdn suppressor it's basically a 16 inch carbine. Larger projectile, uses sub or sonic, change the barrel and back to 5.56. I can't see a down side, but I reload.

What I'm trying to say is... It only costs a barrel and ammo. Everything else is the same. So it's not an expensive investment. Well except for store bought ammo. Try it out and see. And report back.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You can build a .300 Blackout for little coin. I saw Noveske barrels today for 350.00. Uppers are everywhere and so are components. If you have a suppressor already that's icing on the cake.
    Pssh, I just got the $79 PSA 8.5" barrel and I'm pretty damn impressed. If the chamber checks out on it I'll be dang happy with it. You could buy 4 of them for the price of the noveske.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast