Thread: Beretta 92 and +p ammo?

Feedback Score

Beretta 92 and +p ammo?

I picked up a new Beretta M9 the other day and really enjoyed shooting it. I know most people say +p is fine but not recommended as a steady diet but my department provides me with training ammo so I never buy any. We run HST across the board as duty ammo but in .45 and .40 we have cheaper training ammo. With 9mm since traditionally very few people have carried it they just carry 124 +p HST for training and duty so it's all I have access to. I'm thinking this will change as more guys start transitioning to the 9mm but it is what it is for now. I ordered a "D" spring from Wolf and figured I'd up the recoil spring to 15lbs. Anybody have any other advice for consistently running +p through the gun or am I making much ado about nothing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I at one point was running a steady diet of S&B 9mm through my Beretta 92, not quite +P but hotter than your average american 9mm load. Nary an issue over a couple K in the course of a about a year and a half. Haven't shot it much since though another Beretta is on my to buy list along with a 19. My thoughts are unless you are pumping through 10's of thousands of rounds through the pistol I wouldn't worry. If you are concerned an easy remedy in my mind would be to swap the recoil spring a thousand round or two sooner than most generally recommend and shoot on. Not a personal fan of heavier recoil springs in case you go to a standard pressure bulk load, personally but have never used heavier springs so I can't really say. If my 80's vintage 92 can handle the stuff current gen M9s shouldn't bat an eyelash.

Oh, and a D spring is a nice addition. Will likely add in the metal trigger and such in my when I get it personally. Feel that it adds a little more smoothness to the trigger. Again, could be wrong but....
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    The Beretta 92 series will have no problem digesting +p ammo. Keep in mind that NATO ball that is put in every issued M9 is even higher pressure than factory +P.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Put the factory hammer spring back in if you want to slow the slide back down.

A heavier recoil only slams the slide back into battery harder, the lighter mainspring allows the slide to move rearward faster. The recoil spring does almost nothing to counteract this.

All things being equal, a slower slide is more reliable and easier on the gun. I run mine with the stock springs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The Beretta 92 series will have no problem digesting +p ammo. Keep in mind that NATO ball that is put in every issued M9 is even higher pressure than factory +P.
    This. I've fed mine lots of +p with no issues.