Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with a Beretta 92/M9A1 Compact?

Feedback Score

Anyone have experience with a Beretta 92/M9A1 Compact?

Greetings,

I've been infected by the resurgence of the popularity of the Beretta 92 series. My wife has a 1994 92FS that I put a D spring into and it has transformed the pistol into one of my favorites. She's taken over a P226 that I have, but never shoot anymore. I predominantly shoot Glocks, G19 specifically, but like the G17 as well. I find I like the slightly smaller frame of the G19 vs. the G17 and wonder how this would correlate to the 92FS and the Compact.

I'm looking for feedback specific to the 92/M9A1 Compact. I see lots of reviews based on the fullsize 92 models, but I don't recall any on the Compact. Anyone have experience with one? How does it shoot/handle as compared to the fullsized pistols? Is accuracy typical of the fullsize pistols? Can it accept a D spring? I assume, but don't know for sure if fullsize 92 mags would work.

Of course pics are encouraged!!!

I don't CCW since I live in NJ. This pistol would be a range shooter and see house duties.
    RESIST!!!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Saw your reply to my post. I'll put it in here.

I haven't shot my M9A1 yet, but i can't imagine it being that much different from the full size M9. As far as size goes, the grip is, with my hand-o-meter, identical in thickness to a full size. However it is much shorter. Without the little lip on the edge of the magazine, it would be annoying to shoot.

I found that interesting. As someone with a G26 that I can shoot comfortably without a magazine extension, the fact that this is bigger but less comfortable without the extension was surprising. I suppose it is due to it being just big enough that you can't comfortably wrap your pinkie under the butt.

Of course, to my knowledge all of the mags have this lip so that is a non issue.

Other thoughts? Well, it's really not that much smaller than a full size. I don't have one side-by-side , but it looks and feels like the just chopped a bit off the muzzle and grip and left it at that. That may be why you aren't finding many reviews because the two pistols are almost identical.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    rm,

I believe there are two Beretta 92 compacts, a rare 8 round single stack 9mm and the more common 13 round double stacker. I have the 13 round 92FS Compact. It is about a half inch shorter in the barrel and grip than the full size pistol but is still a pretty big/fat pistol for carry. It was difficult to find 13 round mags but the 10 rounders are pretty easy to pick up at a reasonable price. It is boringly accurate and reliable just like its big brother the full size 92FS. I have a number of other compact 9mm's including the Glock 19 to compare it to. It's about one-fourth inch longer in the slide and in the grip than the G19. My EDC 9mm is a SW 3rd gen pistol, the 6904 which is smaller and thinner and holds 12 rounds. Not much else to say. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Feedback Score
    Appreciate the info.

Eurodriver, your comments on the grip length are telling. I need to get to a gunshop to hold one.

Thanks!
    RESIST!!!

Feedback Score
    I've held an INOX at the LGS. Felt very similar to my M9A1 full size, just a shorter grip and slide/barrel. The grip width felt the same. I liked the way it handled, but I haven't shot one yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a new INOX 92FS/M9A1 Compact. It is a nice pistol. They are really lookers, but I do prefer shooting my full size 92FS over the Compact. They are very close, but I do have large hands, and while I can fit my hand on the Compact's grip I feel the mag plate. Not really a big deal, but I find myself reaching for the full size as I am more accurate with it for some reason. Don't let this stop you from getting one, as they are nice pistols, and I may warm up to mine a bit more as I break it in. I'd really wish Beretta would produce the Centurion again as that has the Compact Slide on a full size frame.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I second your request on Beretta making the Centurion again. Especially if they updated it with drift adjustable/replaceable front sights!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    I have a new INOX 92FS/M9A1 Compact. It is a nice pistol. They are really lookers, but I do prefer shooting my full size 92FS over the Compact. They are very close, but I do have large hands, and while I can fit my hand on the Compact's grip I feel the mag plate. Not really a big deal, but I find myself reaching for the full size as I am more accurate with it for some reason. Don't let this stop you from getting one, as they are nice pistols, and I may warm up to mine a bit more as I break it in. I'd really wish Beretta would produce the Centurion again as that has the Compact Slide on a full size frame.
    This would be my ideal as well.
    RESIST!!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The single stack 92M (?) was an awesome shooter even with hot loads. Never had a huge following but really is nice pistol if you can find one. I wish Beretta would move ahead and make all the 92/96 line with drift adjustable fronts.

Feedback Score
    The first Centurion I saw was a suppressor host. I thought it was amazing with the shorter slide considering the extra weight/length brought about by the can. I wonder why Beretta quit making them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast