Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 229 Single Action Issue?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Sig 229 Single Action Issue?

Hey all,

I recently picked up a very clean used 9mm Sig 229, german made frame with what looks like a Legacy Elite slide. I ran a couple of hundred rounds through it for the first time yesterday and on two occasions experienced the gun going to double action mid magazine. What would be the cause of this?

Thanks for any input you can give.

Cheers,
    Matt

Feedback Score
    Does it have the short reset trigger (SRT)?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Does it have the short reset trigger (SRT)?
    It does not. How would the SRT affect things? Curious because I am considering one for the future.

I think I may have it figured out. I'm 99% certain it happened when I was shooting my reloads (had some factory ammo as well). I just started using Tula primers and was reading that sometimes they can be a bit harder than other primers. Single action strike didn't ignite but then did ignite on the subsequent double action strike. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Vegas; 11-10-14 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    My thought is a new hammer spring. This will likely increase your double action trigger pull, however. Even so, this will be a good thing to try for the sake of reliability. You might want to order one in the stock weight, and another a bit heavier.

You'll have to determine if your P229 has a "plastic base" for the hammer spring or not, then order the correct springs. See gunsprings.com for more info. That's Wolff's website.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If your 229 decocks while firing, my guess is that there is a problem with the sear and/or hammer. Have the gun checked by an armorer or send it to the factory.

Not a spring issue

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Sig 229 Single Action Issue?

Good info, thank you. Even tho the gun is super clean, never hurts to have an armorer run over it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I think I may have it figured out. I'm 99% certain it happened when I was shooting my reloads (had some factory ammo as well). I just started using Tula primers and was reading that sometimes they can be a bit harder than other primers. Single action strike didn't ignite but then did ignite on the subsequent double action strike. Thoughts?
    If you're getting misfires then it's an ammo problem, not a mechanical issue. Your first post made it sound like the gun was just randomly decocking. It should be obvious if you're pulling the trigger and getting a click, not bang. Can you elaborate?
    Last edited by JimmyB62; 11-15-14 at 08:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So many of these misfire/FTF threads can be traced back to someone using reloaded ammo of questionable quality.

If you're trying to diagnose a problem, you need to eliminate some variable so you're not just running around in circles. Run 500 rounds of known, quality, factory ammo through the gun and see where you are then.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    It does not. How would the SRT affect things? Curious because I am considering one for the future.

Bubba SRT installs can lead to a bent hammer bar that may lead to issues as you describe.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sounds like it needs a new sear spring and possibly a new sear and or mainspring.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast