Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom molded earplugs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Custom molded earplugs

I've been seriously considering getting custom molded earplugs, as I believe they would cause the least interference when shooting. Does anybody have a pair from a certain vender which they would recommend? I would want to get a custom mold done so that they fit perfectly. Also, do you find that they block out noise better than a good set of ear protectors. Any input is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Been using custom molded ear plugs for shotgun and general shooting for about 6 years or better. i do prefer them over the disposable plugs in that they are more comfortable to wear for hours on end, and I do feel they are more effect than foam plugs. If in a group though where a lot of talking is being done the electronic over ear earpro are nice as well.

Anyway, my personal observations.

Pro:
    Custom molded ear pro can be very comfortable and cost effective if you are shooting lots.
    Low Profile.
    They are more comfortable than the foam plugs as well which is super nice when you are wearing them for hours.
    Relatively simple to get done, most of mine has been at major shoots and cost usually about $50 for something that will last years.
    Quick to put in and remove. (No rolling and stuffing like with foam plugs.)
    Reusable. (Yeah, you can reuse the foam plugs, but I wouldn't do it for more than a day)

Cons:
    Not readily able to just go out and get done usually.
    Needs someone who knows what they are doing when they are molding the plugs. Have had one set that was molded poorly and would push out when I shouldered the gun making it ineffective.
    Cost (One time cost. Though if you are using it every week for a year or more then I would say you are making out.)
    Electronic ear pro does allow ease of talking over molded ear pro, but again depends on the situation that you are using them.

My thoughts is if you aren't in a group and not using over the ear pro, or want to double up get the custom molded plugs.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Are you looking for just custom solid plugs or custom electronic hearing protection? Solid plugs are pretty easy to manufacture, most hearing centers or audiologists can help with that. If you are looking more for electronic PM me as I work for a company that specializes in Custom electronic hearing protection.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not looking for electronic ear plugs. Just looking for custom molded earplugs with the best possible sound protection. I tend to shoot by myself, and as such I'm not worried about having great conversation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    I'm not looking for electronic ear plugs. Just looking for custom molded earplugs with the best possible sound protection. I tend to shoot by myself, and as such I'm not worried about having great conversation.
    Personally feel that the custom molded plugs are a little more effective(Subjective), though that also has a little to do with comfort. With most of the molded plugs there is more material between ear and what the noise would be than with regular foam plugs.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    What does this have to do with AR's?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Most of the custom ear plugs are rated in the 20db range, not the 30db of the foam plugs.

A trick I picked up with the foam plugs from a MotoGP guy is to squish it down, without twisting it, and get it wet before putting it in your ear. It will actually slide into your ear canal instead of bunching up and will really seal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any particular brand that is good?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For foam, the Howard Leight ones that have a taper to them. 33db reduction. They even make a Ducati 1199 quiet.

Steer clear of the 3M ones that are a straight sided cylinder. Uncomfortable and don't work very well.

If you're going the custom route, I would go to a professional and get them fitted. The reviews on the two part kits are mixed at best.
    Last edited by bp7178; 11-15-14 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Most of the custom ear plugs are rated in the 20db range, not the 30db of the foam plugs.

A trick I picked up with the foam plugs from a MotoGP guy is to squish it down, without twisting it, and get it wet before putting it in your ear. It will actually slide into your ear canal instead of bunching up and will really seal.
    This is true, our usually are 25-26db range. The main reason is foam can expand and create a better seal vs hard plastic which just hurts after a while if they fit too tight.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast