Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to start reloading, need some guidance though

Feedback Score

Want to start reloading, need some guidance though

Like the title says.I want to start reloading my own ammo. I want to do my .223 and .45. So far I have this on my list.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...068&t=11082005

What else would I need? What kind of powder should I use?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'd also be curious?

Also what is the marginal cost of adding a caliber to your reloading capability? How many calibers are reasonably managed by the home loader?

Ideally I'd like to load 9mm, .45, .223, .308 and 12 ga. But that seems excessive somehow.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    After doing alot of research on the benefits of reloading, I came to a conclusion that the main answer lies in the amount of shooting you will be doing: frequency and time. And since I was mainly shooting 223 at the beggining, I knew I was planning to shoot in the thousands a year thus I opted for the Dillon XL650 progressive system. If I was only looking at a few hundred a month than the single loader will do.

Feedback Score
    This will give you an idea how much money can be saved by reloading.

http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

I used it on mine and found that I was saving $169.00 per 1000 when I reloaded .223/5.56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Also what is the marginal cost of adding a caliber to your reloading capability?
    Depends. You can go balls out and have a full tool head with a dedicated powder hopper and make caliber changes very fast. But that might get into the $300 plus range... (dies, caliber conversion, powder hopper, tool head, etc.)

Or you could get it done for as cheap as the cost of the dies and a caliber conversion... under $200. But the change over can be a lot more work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I load with a Hornady LNL Progressive, RCBS 5-10 scale, Wilson Case Trimmer, Midway Tumbler, Mitsutoyo calipers, RCBS Hand Priming Tool, RCBS Case Master, Lyman Case Prep Kit(Cheap Drill) and numerous smaller tools.

I load for 223 Rem, 300 WSM, 38/357, 375 JDJ, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. For each, I need dies and a shellplate. I also need a shellholder for neck turning and priming for the 300 WSM. So add on cost per caliber is $75ish.(dies, shellplate, trim case holder, crimp die, etc.) I also use Lee Factory Crimp Dies. For rifle dies, I prefer Forster, with the Ultra Seater. I get very low runout.

So, that is about $800 worth of base tools + $75 a caliber.

I looks like that RCBS kit will get you loading for like $300, and it will, but soon you will want to ease your process. The kit contains - but soon you will want:

Reloader Special 5 press - a good turret or progressive press

Case loading block - to eliminate this from your process. I use small cardboard boxes.

Case lube kit - I use Hornady One Shot in said cardboard box.

Primer tray - You'll always need this.

Powder funnel - You'll always need this, but may want a drop tube in the future.

505 powder scale - OK at first, but a quality scale elec or mech is nice.

Deburring tool - This is only part of case prep, next is primer pocket cleaning, primer pocket uniforming, primer crimp removal.

Speer reloading manual - Good at first for process help, but usually the process is over simplified. Also, data in manuals gets "old." I prefer going to the powder mfg web site for latest info or calling the bullet and powder mfgrs.

You'll pull your hair out without having:
    A powder measure
    A powder trickler
    A case tumbler
    A case trimmer
    Calipers
    Headspace and OAL measuring tools

Just these few additional tools will cost $375.

Then there is the chronograph, etc. It is an addiction.

For starting out and fairly low volume up through 200 at a sitting, I reccomend:
    Lyman T mag kit
    This kit can get you started and will still need some add ons, but overall, it is a much more complete kit, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Do you guys buy bullets in 224 diameter for a .223 cal?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A Dillon 550b is the way to go for a new reloader... The 650 is a great press, but not really for someone who has never reloaded... In either case Dillson is the only press I would buy... The only other option is an old rockchucker for loading 19 century black powder stuff like 45-110...

B

P.S. if you have never reloaded before get the Dillon DVD and if you have any questions, give them a call... They are very helpful...
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    I concur with what Buck said. I started with a 550B and now am on to two 650's. Go with the 550 first. You can keep it for making quick caliber changes and later put a 650 (if you find you even need it) into full time use for whatever caliber you shoot most.

Feedback Score
    Found some good info here. I just need to know if I should look at 224 diameter bullets vs 223.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast