Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling with my SBR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Traveling with my SBR

We are planning to travel out of state to a neighboring state for a visit with friends at Thanksgiving. Part of our tradition is to go out shooting on Friday. I want to bring my SBR this year, but ... I've tried to read ATF regulations on this and am quite completely and utterly confused at this point.

We are "private citizens" traveling, not "transporting the SBR" for any commercial purpose.
    We will there a total of three days, coming back home.
    We are traveling by car.

Can somebody give me good, hard data on what, precisely, the ATF requires and what I should do in anticipation of this trip?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You need to file a FORM 20 and make sure the state you're taking it to is legal

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/down...-f-5320-20.pdf

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just FYI, I just got my form back and it took about 2 months.

Feedback Score
    Fill out the 5320.20, and fax it in. Provide a cover sheet with a note saying it's a last minute request and you'd be ever grateful if they could handle it in time and email/fax you a copy in case the originals don't get back in time. Make sure to remember to provide an email address and phone number.

I've had them back in my hand in as little as 8 days from faxing, but it's normally a month or more.

Also, you can request up to a full year's worth of dates in case you go back. For example, either send one form for 11/22/14-11/21/15, or send one for 11/22/14-12/31/14 and another for 1/1/15-12/31/15. I usually send some forms in each fall for the entire following year for various states.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 11-18-14 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Fill out the 5320.20, and fax it in. Provide a cover sheet with a note saying it's a last minute request and you'd be ever grateful if they could handle it in time and email/fax you a copy in case the originals don't get back in time. Make sure to remember to provide an email address and phone number.

I've had them back in my hand in as little as 8 days from faxing, but it's normally a month or more.

Also, you can request up to a full year's worth of dates in case you go back. For example, either send one form for 11/22/14-11/21/15, or send one for 11/22/14-12/31/14 and another for 1/1/15-12/31/15. I usually send some forms in each fall for the entire following year for various states.
    Good tip. I wonder it you can list all States where it's legal.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good luck.

I faxed a 5320 3 months ago for a hog hunt in October..... never came back in time (still haven't received it, in guessing it got lost).

My next build will be a folding AR pistol just for this reason.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IraqVet1982 View Post
    Good tip. I wonder it you can list all States where it's legal.
    Multiple firearms per form, but limited to one state per form. That's the current directive as I understand it.

The next thing I want to try is to fill mine in by hand and squeeze four firearms into the three blanks. As of now I already send two forms for each state, but just had an eForm 1 (7th SBR) approved today. You could easily write the info legibly in the space provided.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 11-18-14 at 17:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I sent faxed one in for PCS reasons and 3 mos later I got a letter from a gunsmith in San Antonio that contained my approved form 5320.20. He said he received it with some forms he got back from the ATF and noticed mine mixed with his and decided to mail it to me.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    As previosly mentione you have to fill out the ATF form 5320.20 - https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/down...-f-5320-20.pdf

Looks like you will be seriously pressed on time. My advice would be to look at your stamp paperwork, call the ATF and get transferred to your Examiner (signature at the bottom), explain the situation and they will tell you to fax it in and the may expedite back to you.

Good luck. I have sent them in and gotten them back in 2 weeks and i have sent them in and they have taken a month and a half.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh well, the odds of actually getting in trouble with my SBR are pretty low, I'd say, but ... I do not believe in gambling. It will just stay home this time.

No biggie.

I appreciate the information. Will be very helpful for next time. Man, what a set of absolutely idiotic laws we have re. NFA items.

I'll just have to make do with three other ARs I'm bringing along.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast