Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Frame Reality Fail?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

J-Frame Reality Fail?

Does anyone have a credible real life account where a J-frame was employed in a lethal force encounter and the shooter (trained) did his part and the weapon choice (J-frame) was the reason for his/her defeat? Hear lots of reasons but an old timer told me one time that because he carried a J-frame only he thinks he made better decisions because that was always in the forefront of his mind. He did tell me about an incident where two B-guys were testing him and he ended up shooting one and he said the other bolted before he could get a sight picture on him. No way to confirm his tale, he claimed it occured 1952 in NYC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This should be interesting.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is no magical keyword searchable shootings database where someone can look this up for you. Even if it has happened multiple times the chances of a forum member seeing this thread and knowing the details of an incident that matches that description are minuscule.

What are you actually trying to learn/prove/understand?

Rick

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post

What are you actually trying to learn/prove/understand?

Rick
    This is an excellent question. If the OP would clarify what he/she is trying to learn, we may be able to better offer pertinent information.

I have been thinking about this question since I first read it 5 hours ago. I can think of three incidents that occurred since 1978 where a J Frame was enough to get the job done. It's the carpenter, not the hammer that counts.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coltm4223 View Post
    Does anyone have a credible real life account where a J-frame was employed in a lethal force encounter and the shooter (trained) did his part and the weapon choice (J-frame) was the reason for his/her defeat? Hear lots of reasons but an old timer told me one time that because he carried a J-frame only he thinks he made better decisions because that was always in the forefront of his mind. He did tell me about an incident where two B-guys were testing him and he ended up shooting one and he said the other bolted before he could get a sight picture on him. No way to confirm his tale, he claimed it occured 1952 in NYC.
    There are so many variables here, even if you had a story it still would be impossible to tease out the j-frame from the other factors involved in the shooting.

Get enough data, with enough detailed information and you might be able to see trends and possibly link them to the firearm itself.

Sample size of 1 is basically a sample size of zero.

First rule of using a gun to defend yourself is actually have a gun. A J-frame is so easy to CC even the laziest person can pick it up, slip it in a pocket and head out the door. If it's hot you can still conceal a J frame. So rather than ask yourself is the j frame going to get me killed, as your self: Am I going to be dedicated to carrying anything else 365 days a year. Ill take the J frame over nothing. Then again, i'd take the j-frame over a lot of larger guns too.

Also, I'm not sure why you bring up the post about the NYC cop. Seems out of place.

Feedback Score
    While not an actual failure due to the j-frame itself, there's a great story involving a simple "dog walk" from Doc Gary Roberts on another forum. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute while you're justifying the 5 shots. I felt the takeaway from the story was enough to square away most people who wonder about such things.

Feedback Score
    How about the story of a guy who is very lucky to be alive since he went on the offensive against several armed robbers while only in possession of a 5 shot snub?

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/crime...40521212359155

What's the quote from Top Gun? "This was a victory, but I think we've shown it as an example of what not to do."

Unless it's a loved one in danger, if I only have a pocket gun I'm not chasing down armed thugs. That goes double if they are leaving and nobody has been injured. And I'm sure as hell not giving a full statement/interview to the media immediately following gun play of any kind.
    Last edited by El Cid; 11-19-14 at 13:04.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    This is an excellent question. If the OP would clarify what he/she is trying to learn, we may be able to better offer pertinent information.

I have been thinking about this question since I first read it 5 hours ago. I can think of three incidents that occurred since 1978 where a J Frame was enough to get the job done. It's the carpenter, not the hammer that counts.
    What I'm looking for is does the gun you are carrying change your response to a potential dangerous situation? Are people braver with a more capable, powerful and higher capacity weapon? All the hype that people cite about a J-Frame isnt enough gun, when has it not been enough? Just looking for real life encounters if anyone knows of any. I totally agree
    Last edited by coltm4223; 11-19-14 at 16:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    There are so many variables here, even if you had a story it still would be impossible to tease out the j-frame from the other factors involved in the shooting.

Get enough data, with enough detailed information and you might be able to see trends and possibly link them to the firearm itself.

Sample size of 1 is basically a sample size of zero.

First rule of using a gun to defend yourself is actually have a gun. A J-frame is so easy to CC even the laziest person can pick it up, slip it in a pocket and head out the door. If it's hot you can still conceal a J frame. So rather than ask yourself is the j frame going to get me killed, as your self: Am I going to be dedicated to carrying anything else 365 days a year. Ill take the J frame over nothing. Then again, i'd take the j-frame over a lot of larger guns too.

Also, I'm not sure why you bring up the post about the NYC cop. Seems out of place.
    He was never a cop. Sorry if I misled you to believe that

Feedback Score
    Original story: http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/ne...1#.VG0hScnnOZE

This may qualify.
    The robber was armed with a short barreled 38 and Speer Got Dots.
    The citizen being robbed was armed with a Commander.

In the ensuing exchange across a table, the citizen was shot in both hands, grazed along the abdomen and also hit seriously in the upper chest. He was able to return fire but scored marginal hits on the thug that were enough that the thug fled, bleeding.
    In interviews later on with Mr. Schnieders, he described being shot and finding out specifics about the robbers gun later on.
    Mr. Schnieders made it clear that at the time, he was not aware he had been hit in the chest.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast