Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Frame Reality Fail?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The majority of police involved shooting in the uS before 1980, especially large cities were with revolvers, the odds sucked and the old timers I work with said that when Glocks came out it was literally a life saver.

If you are looking to justify carrying a snub or the like you do what you feel is comfortable for you. For me and those like me, it does not meet the level of readiness I require.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok let me clarify more, I wasn't really looking for police shootings because they have a duty to pursue danger where as a civilian doesn't. Like I said, I wonder if it makes you more careful when carrying a J-Frame? Then when used does it fail when the shooter does his part? Thank you for the example above

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Original story: http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/ne...1#.VG0hScnnOZE

This may qualify.
    The robber was armed with a short barreled 38 and Speer Got Dots.
    The citizen being robbed was armed with a Commander.

In the ensuing exchange across a table, the citizen was shot in both hands, grazed along the abdomen and also hit seriously in the upper chest. He was able to return fire but scored marginal hits on the thug that were enough that the thug fled, bleeding.
    In interviews later on with Mr. Schnieders, he described being shot and finding out specifics about the robbers gun later on.
    Mr. Schnieders made it clear that at the time, he was not aware he had been hit in the chest.
    Big game animals such as deer or elk very often run a considerable distance when shot through BOTH lungs with a high powered rifle. How can we reasonably expect a man to fall instantly when shot through only one lung, or even both, with any reasonable handgun? This expectation is largely myth, fostered by our entertainment industry and gun lust magazines. Just another form of collective anxiety. In the above account, neither man was incapacitated. One was not aware he had been shot in the chest, the other ran away. Neither man was struck in the CNS. So carry something that you will carry all or at least most of the time and can use to place your rounds well. Caliber does not matter nearly as much as people think, and ammo capacity does not matter as much as folks think either, since only hits count.

There apparently was no hatred in the above encounter. This is what most folks don't think of, and is very important. Neither was there any duty to kill or continue, another important factor. Probably no meth either. No hatred, no duty, and no drugs equal fall down or run away when shot with any caliber. Otherwise, the only thing that will work with almost any reasonable handgun round is a good hit in the CNS.
    Dave

INNOVATION IS SELDOM ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT CONTROVERSY.
    My first rule of a gunfight, thanks to John Farnam's wise advice. "Get away from there!"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    To the OP, if I am reading you right, when off duty, I try not to go anywhere I would not feel comfortable with a smaller pistol (a J frame being my smallest realistic carry pistol). Having said that, I usually am carrying a G19 or similar size pistol because I am able to conceal them (and a spare mag) most all of the time with my size.

For a while when I was a suit and tie detective, I went through a J frame only phase. After a few close calls, I decided to go back to a larger, higher cap pistol. Not that I lost any fights (obviously, as I am still here) nor did having the smaller pistol deter me from a course of action, but I did realize that had bad circumstances continued, I would be at the short end of the curve with limits on capacity, slower reload (speed strips), and less optimal sights.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had some pieces of primer get stuck under the star during a reload and jam the cylinder up.

Took me a few minutes to figure out what happened and where to clean.

Would have been ****ed in a real life situation I guess.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If bullets walk forward on a revolver it can lock up the cylinder but I've only heard of it on the magnums and big bore guns.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    For a pocket/deep concealment/BUG, I see no reason for a J-frame when you can get something like my Kahr CM9 that is just as short, slimmer profile, 7 rounds vs. 5, much better trigger, quicker to reload, and with better sights. I just don't see one way the J-frame is better... unless you're like my old lady and have trouble racking the slide on something like a CM9. She sure likes her J-frame.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    For a pocket/deep concealment/BUG, I see no reason for a J-frame when you can get something like my Kahr CM9 that is just as short, slimmer profile, 7 rounds vs. 5, much better trigger, quicker to reload, and with better sights. I just don't see one way the J-frame is better... unless you're like my old lady and have trouble racking the slide on something like a CM9. She sure likes her J-frame.
    I can think of one - reliability. I owned a PM9 and a CM9, both of which the factory could never get to work reliably. They replaced the PM9 - twice. I sold the second replacement with full disclosure and stuck with a J-frame.

I am seriously pondering one of the 9mm Shield pistols Grant has on clearance. I really, really like the idea of a pocket nine. But it seems to be a very difficult thing for manufacturers to do consistently and reliably.

Yes, they do make bad J-frame revolvers every now and then. But from my direct observation, there seem to be a greater percentage of issues with the small pocket autos.

And it ain't a lack of wishing on my part. I'd sell someone else's kidney for a Glock 9mm single stack I could drop in a pocket.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have owned two PM9s. The first one I busted the frame on(after 4-5k etc). The second ran decent on ball and some HK, unless you stuck the extended pinky mag. Easy to shoot, but nowhere near as reliable as a J-frame. Above all, this kind of gun has to work.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    If bullets walk forward on a revolver it can lock up the cylinder but I've only heard of it on the magnums and big bore guns.
    Seen in others as well. Combine light revos, harsh or crappy ammo, and light crimps.

There's a lot of good stuff out there for CCW. However, there is no other handgun of its size and portability that is as shootable, reliable, across the breadth of ammunition, that the J is.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast