Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightforce Questions

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    Dave:
    The zero stop is a restricted item and costs about $185.
    can you clarify this for me? i know that i can order the scopes with the zero-stop option

thanks,

kent
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scattergun View Post
    a little less than 2 years.

I just checked their web site and never says they are made in the US. It says

"Every single scope we sell is thoroughly inspected and tested by hand at our Idaho headquarters."

and it says

"Every Nightforce scope is assembled at our factory in North Central Idaho. All Nightforce scopes are 100% inspected and certified, passing vigorous testing prior to shipping."
    Rog, they probably have Japanese Glass in them- and a certain percentage of the scopes are American.
    I'm still interested in them.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    can you clarify this for me? i know that i can order the scopes with the zero-stop option

thanks,

kent
    Kent,
    The ZS models( "Zero Stop" )- meaning, when you set your 100 yard Zero (or what ever range you decide) the scope knobs can be set to "stop" turning at your zero. This helps in the dark- you don't have to count clicks to get back to your zero, you just crank them down till they stop. Otherwise, you could easily go below your zero. I believe the Leupold M2's have this feature.
    Hope that helps,
    dave
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    I have the 1-4X and the 3-15X. For your application, I think that would be the perfect choice. I understand that the 2-10X is what the SEAL snipers use with the Zero Stop. That is a contract feature for them. I think you will find that is was worth the extra money. They are in short supply and sometimes require a wait. Since you have the access, you may also want to consider getting the Night Vision compatible model? I am not surprised you can access certain items . Be safe.
    A factory representative told me that the battery life in the NXS scopes was under 20 hours. How visible and useful is the non illuminated FC-2 reticule at close range when used in the NXS 1-4 with the power ring at 1 for faster shots under 25 yards? A dark reticule against a dark target in low light is an issue based on my limited experience with traditional crosshairs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Kent,
    The ZS models( "Zero Stop" )- meaning, when you set your 100 yard Zero (or what ever range you decide) the scope knobs can be set to "stop" turning at your zero. This helps in the dark- you don't have to count clicks to get back to your zero, you just crank them down till they stop. Otherwise, you could easily go below your zero. I believe the Leupold M2's have this feature.
    Hope that helps,
    dave

i'm sorry for not being clear. i know what the zero-stop is, but i was questioning the "restricted" part.

thanks.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Leupolds Mark 4 have the zero stop feature, however I still want a Nightforce for my bolt gun project.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    Leupolds Mark 4 have the zero stop feature, however I still want a Nightforce for my bolt gun project.
    I don't think the M1 knobs have it...mine doesn't but I wish it did...

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    i'm sorry for not being clear. i know what the zero-stop is, but i was questioning the "restricted" part.

thanks.
    I don't think they are restricted(for civilian purchase) anymore...

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    The lower power ( 1 -4 and 2.5 - 10 power ) have always been made in the USA . The higher power NSX and the benchrest line are made by Light Optical Works in Japan. I have heard that the newer scopes NSX are assembled in the USA with LOW parts . I have 3 NSX and they are all made in Japan

This by the way should have no bearing in your decision because Leupold sources most of their glass from Japan

As far as Zero stop, its worth the money if you are constantly dialing in . I found that with some of the NSX recticles like the NP-R2 and R1 I am using the recticle for holdover and seldom touch the knob

The Leupold Mark 4 M1 does NOT have Zero stop contrary to what some say. I have 2 and you can dial down below zero. The M3 is zero stop by design ( single turn anyways ) but its very coarse 1MOA elevation vs 1/4MOA on the M1

If you are geeked to have single turn go for a USO with EREK or a Schmidt Bender PMII with single CM turn or 1/4 MOA double turn

You should look at the Nighforce with MLR ( miliradian recticle ) and optional Miliradian knobs ( its about a $130 knob option )

Only downside of NSX is the illumination control can not easily be adjusted ( unlike a S&B, USO , or a Leupold MK4 )

Another downside that may or may not matter to you is the 2nd focal plane recticle.

The NSX is a better Value bang for the buck. I have IOR ( the 35mm tube scopes are awesome ) , S&B PMII ( too pricy now ) and MK4s for comparison

I wouldn't buy another MK4. I would however buy another S&B ( my wife would beat me to death with it if I did )

BTW although Zero stop is "unrestricted" now, even in the past they were available if you ask the right person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    TRG42,
    Thank you for that info- that's the stuff I needed to hear.
    Take it easy,
    dave

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast