Thread: VetiGel, new clotting agent to stop bleeding.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

VetiGel, new clotting agent to stop bleeding.

Not a med/sci journal, but if testing and validation pans out and it gets FDA approved, this could be a useful tool in the tool box:

Whether it’s a cut in a kitchen, or a serious wound on the battlefield, the number one priority for any medic is to stop the bleeding.

And a new gel being developed in New York could save lives, because it can stop the flow of profuse bleeding within seconds.

Made from plant polymers, VetiGel works with the body’s natural healing mechanisms to clot blood on contact.

In dusty war zones, VetiGel will most likely be used as a temporary fix to help soldiers until they receive proper medical help.

'Doctors would then remove it and treat the wound,' Mr Landolina explained.

‘Omar Ahmad, VP of Engineering at the Suneris, elaborated: ‘Let’s say there’s a soldier who is shot on the battlefield and has three minutes to live. A leading competitor can stop a bleed in five to 10 minutes - but he’s only got three.

‘You apply this [VetiGel] and not only will the bleeding stop within 15 seconds, it will stay stopped thanks to its high clot strength.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...al-wounds.html
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-25-14 at 13:08.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    If it works as well as it is stated, that is good.

However, I remain skeptical based on his comment regarding "a leading competitor". The competitor is not named, but stopping massive bleeding is not as cut and dry as he makes it out to be. If he is referring to the current issue hemostat, he is very far off base with regards to correct treatment protocols.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    If it works as well as it is stated, that is good.

However, I remain skeptical based on his comment regarding "a leading competitor". The competitor is not named, but stopping massive bleeding is not as cut and dry as he makes it out to be. If he is referring to the current issue hemostat, he is very far off base with regards to correct treatment protocols.
    This one is a bit above my pay grade, but I thought potentially useful intel to pass along. I was of course, knowing the hype lingo of any company attempting to get traction for a product to add the caveat "if testing and validation pans out..." to cover my arse.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”