Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best handguard removal tool?

Feedback Score

Best handguard removal tool?

First of all, please don't waste your time if you're going to post "you don't need a tool." This is for my girlfriend who has hand strength issues.

I have owned the Brownells tool for years, and it's okay, but the rubber coating tears pretty easily. We bought a cheapie at Academy Sports that got so bent out of shape with its first use that it went right in the trash.

Those of you who use or have used the tool to compress the delta ring and remove/replace the handguards, which one do you recommend?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought one from Cabelas and had the same problem, plastic tears and metal not strong enough. I gave it away after one use, but I've never seen a professional armorers tool available anywhere.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I bought a tapco one a while ago and haven't had issues with it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Doc, Just a question, does your girlfriend usually remove the handguards to clean on her own? Back in the day when we had them in the military it frequently took 2 people to remove them anyway. If it's regular cleaning, maybe but to replace the handguard you may be able to just help her. I'm not suggesting you don't need them, just asking as over the years I've got literally thousands of dollars of tools/gadgets I thought I needed and now wish I never bought.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    Doc, Just a question, does your girlfriend usually remove the handguards to clean on her own? Back in the day when we had them in the military it frequently took 2 people to remove them anyway. If it's regular cleaning, maybe but to replace the handguard you may be able to just help her. I'm not suggesting you don't need them, just asking as over the years I've got literally thousands of dollars of tools/gadgets I thought I needed and now wish I never bought.
    She wants a tool to have on hand in case she needs to remove the handguards and I'm not around. She watched me used my Brownells tool and immediately wanted one. I'd get her one of those, but they are out of stock right now and I'd rather get her a better one for Christmas. The one Brownells sells by Darrels Custom gets high reviews, but of course they're out of that one also.

Feedback Score
    Hey Doc.,

Check this out, hope it's something that will help...?

Peace Jeff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON5DJ...yer_detailpage

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've only used the MI one and it worked great. However, the rubber does tear off after repeated use. I just wrap electric tape in the worn areas now if needed.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_ID=147

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I have owned the Brownells tool for years, and it's okay, but the rubber coating tears pretty easily.
    Not sure what ID you will need, but look for a store selling rubber air hose in short lengths(or, better yet, find some scrapped) that will sleeve over the arms on the tool.

Other types of lines may work as well, but I know the air hose exterior is grippy after having the same problem you have with a gun show pick up tool.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by treadwisely View Post
    I bought a tapco one a while ago and haven't had issues with it.
    Same here, I have had some handguards/delta rings that would not budge. My father had one even a gun smith had a hell of time getting off to install a RIS on a Colt.

The Tapco one works everytime for me.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you don't want to buy a purpose made tool you can do it with a pair of Channel Locks.

Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast