Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith & Wesson/General Dynamics team up for Modular Handgun System

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    With General Dynamics on board, S&W has a partner to shoulder some of the cost (presumably) of the competition. And someone with extensive experience with government contracts.
    That's a good team, I'm rather surprised that GD didn't jump on Colt when they were in trouble.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    That's a good team, I'm rather surprised that GD didn't jump on Colt when they were in trouble.
    Well, they are in trouble NOW...

Feedback Score
    I'm picturing a swing wing handgun....
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    why isn't this in handgun discussion?

Feedback Score
    The Army’s draft MHS solicitation identifies design and performance requirements for a new modular handgun system that can be easily adjusted to fit all hand sizes and is optimized for improved gun, ammunition and magazine performance. The Army’s stated plan is to commence the competition in January 2015, with delivery of the first new handgun systems in 2017.
    Umm...I'm confused. So, S&W is going to team-up with GD to design a new modular handgun that will be tested sometime in the next 12.5 months? Riiiiight.

Maybe I'm wrong and the S&W fairy godmother can wave her wand a pull a new M&P spin-off pistol out of Chris Costa's ass, but didn't it take HK almost 4 years to design the VP9?

In addition, the letter mentions the M&P pistol, why does S&W need GD for a pistol that already exists?
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-28-14 at 23:36.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Umm...I'm confused. So, S&W is going to team-up with GD to design a new modular handgun that will be tested sometime in the next 12.5 months? Riiiiight.

Maybe I'm wrong and the S&W fairy godmother can wave her wand a pull a new M&P spin-off pistol out of Chris Costa's ass, but didn't it take HK almost 4 years to design the VP9?

In addition, the letter mentions the M&P pistol, why does S&W need GD for a pistol that already exists?
    Well, if they are designing it based around the M&P, there is a lot of R&D work done right there. I am also willing to bet that GD and S&W have been working on this for a bit longer than the press release has indicated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BVickery View Post
    Well, if they are designing it based around the M&P, there is a lot of R&D work done right there. I am also willing to bet that GD and S&W have been working on this for a bit longer than the press release has indicated.
    Or as was mentioned the piece GD brings to the table is expertise and lobbyists for government contracts.

I just checked the GD site... They are heavily into the arms industry beyond just aircraft systems.
    http://www.gd-ots.com/productsbycategory.html

And holy crap! They make gatling guns in 50 cal? Not sure it's that practical but I'd love to give one a go!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VMHQzwDwc
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12