Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LMT and Black Hills problems

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    Yes, I run her wet. I'm not having a serious problem, no jamming or anything, but just some disturbing stuff with what I thought was considered to be top-quality ammo...I'm just trying to trace down some causes and see if anyone else has had some issues with BH ammo like I had...
    A couple more things...

If I read your post correctly, you had two failures to feed in 50 rounds, and two failures to fire? Were the rounds that failed to feed and fire the same? Either as an individual cartridge, or as the first round from the magazine?

We're also dealing with a pretty limited sample size, and during the days for each load. 40 rounds of UMC and 50 rounds of BHA is very little ammuntion, and I'd be hesitant to make a value judgement about either especially for the better with the former, and for the worse with the latter, given the track record of each.

What's the lot number?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    do you guys know if LMTs are manufactured to 5.56mm NATO dimensions or .223 remington dimensions?
    A government big enough to give everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Military all Military Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    do you guys know if LMTs are manufactured to 5.56mm NATO dimensions or .223 remington dimensions?
    Most all production LM&T AR15&16 Rifles are built as Military type weapons and their chambers are 5.56 NATO.

If you read their data items you will note most all their production uppers are discribed as sold with with full auto chrome lined bbls. This item alone tells one they are not .223 chambered but are 5.56 NATO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Umpteen thousand rounds of reman downrange with nary a problem, with hundreds of thousands in a couple of training venues. Case length does seem to be a non-issue for most.
    I agree. In general the ammo has a great reputation. I personally think that BH has some really aggresive expander balls. Because I don't get this kind of case stretch when I reload once fired military brass of the same year(s) and kind.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A couple more things...

If I read your post correctly, you had two failures to feed in 50 rounds, and two failures to fire? Were the rounds that failed to feed and fire the same? Either as an individual cartridge, or as the first round from the magazine?

We're also dealing with a pretty limited sample size, and during the days for each load. 40 rounds of UMC and 50 rounds of BHA is very little ammuntion, and I'd be hesitant to make a value judgement about either especially for the better with the former, and for the worse with the latter, given the track record of each.

What's the lot number?
    Yes, I had two Failures to feed, and two failures to fire. One of the failure to fire was the same round as the failure to feed. I later reinserted it into the mag and chambered it successfully, and fired it without a problem...it seemed to have a problem being picked up from the mag by the bolt...the bolt would push it forward about a 1/4 of an inch and then stopped, so I dropped the mag and removed the round, inspected, then reinserted it into the mag and put the mag back into the rifle, from which it chambered successfully. I then pulled the trigger, heard the "click", and waited about 10 seconds. I then ejected the round onto the bench while keeping the muzzle pointed downrange. I thought that was quite unusual, and inspected the round once more. It had a dimpled primer, so I thought it was a light primer strike.

On the next mag, I was not able to chamber it again...I dropped the mag, cleared the rifle, and reinserted the magazine. Again, a light primer strike, but successful feeding from the magazine.

The mags were brand new 20 rd PMAGS.

I do not know the lot number, as I have already tossed the boxes, but I will look next time I go to the gunstore. The brass is Lake City 06 brass.

I know it is a very small sample size, and I was just happy that my AR worked w/o jamming, am I am not writing off black hills ammo, either...just noting that I had some minor problems with it, and wanted to know if anyone else had similar problems...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks.

Again, for further clarity: When you're charing the gun, is the action closed or open? If open, are you dropping the bcg with the bolt catch, or using the charging handle? If the CH, a quick pull to the rear and release, or helping it forward?

Theory: Hesitation somewhere is stalling feed, and creating a slight OOB condition sufficient to give you a light strike.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks.

Again, for further clarity: When you're charing the gun, is the action closed or open? If open, are you dropping the bcg with the bolt catch, or using the charging handle? If the CH, a quick pull to the rear and release, or helping it forward?
    For the very first round, I definitley charged it with the charging handle, and trying to let it drop instead of following it (which I know can cause problems). I think that I dropped the bolt with the charging handle for the second incident, too.

Theory: Hesitation somewhere is stalling feed, and creating a slight OOB condition sufficient to give you a light strike.
    I think your theory is right. I'm not used to that failure mode, as my other guns, it's either cocked, or not, and once it's cocked, it's going to give full force to the firing pin. I didn't know that issue could happen with ARs. Might not be the ammo at all...

Will do more testing at next range session. Thanks for the help, ya'll...

Feedback Score

Thumbs up BH Blue Box Ammo. It worked great today

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    For the very first round, I definitley charged it with the charging handle, and trying to let it drop instead of following it (which I know can cause problems). I think that I dropped the bolt with the charging handle for the second incident, too.

I think your theory is right. I'm not used to that failure mode, as my other guns, it's either cocked, or not, and once it's cocked, it's going to give full force to the firing pin. I didn't know that issue could happen with ARs. Might not be the ammo at all...

Will do more testing at next range session. Thanks for the help, ya'll...
    I shot a box of BH Blue box .223 55gr Ammo. today in my new LM&T M4 AR with not problems and a nice tight group.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123