Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm out of a 3.5 bbl

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    I couldnt care less how fast the bullet is going, so long as I get adequate penetration and robust expansion.

Speed guarantees neither.
    True. But lack of velocity guarantees you will achieve neither as well.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    True. But lack of velocity guarantees you will achieve neither as well.
    We can go back and forth on this issue, all I'm simply saying is that velocity isnt the most critical thing needed in a pistol round. You stated all things being equal we want the fastest round. The quality 147gr JHPs will have more penetration than midweight JHPs, even when bumped up to +P or +P+, and in many cases, the expanded diameter will be slightly larger. So I'll ask, why do I want the fastest bullet if I gain nothing over a slower bullet?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    We can go back and forth on this issue, all I'm simply saying is that velocity isnt the most critical thing needed in a pistol round. You stated all things being equal we want the fastest round. The quality 147gr JHPs will have more penetration than midweight JHPs, even when bumped up to +P or +P+, and in many cases, the expanded diameter will be slightly larger. So I'll ask, why do I want the fastest bullet if I gain nothing over a slower bullet?
    I think we basically agree. I'm stating that "ALL THINGS EQUAL", but you're comparing 147 to midweight rounds. That's not all things being equal.

Hypothetically, If I could get a 147 grain JHP to go 2500 fps out of a pistol with no side affects, I'd take that over a standard load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12