Thread: Vltor a5 for 308?

Feedback Score

Vltor a5 for 308?

Hello team,

Hope ya'all had a great Thanksgiving!

Question please is there a setup like the Vltor a5 for 308 ar's with rifle length receiver extensions and carbine extensions?

I researched and came up with something called slash heavy buffer, but not sure and don't know if this is the setup and or not.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    I run an a5 6 position in my maten I use ar10 spring and a slash heavy buffer the ar15 xh buffer. I like this chart
    http://heavybuffers.com/reference.html

He also says in .308 buffer section:

Note: Not compatible with .223 ARs. This buffer is designed for use in .308 ARs with a 7" receiver extension (buffer tube). If you have an ArmaLite/VLTOR extended length tube (7-3/4") please see the XH Carbine buffer on the AR15 Carbine Buffer page.

Further
    Vltor says this about the a5
    3. What do I need to know before I install this receiver extension onto an AR-10?

The RE-10/A5SR is designed to be a replacement to the OEM receiver extension or for building up a rifle. Please note that there are additional components that are required based on your application. If you are using the A5SR tube on an Armalite AR-10 carbine and rifle, you must use the Armalite AR-10B Operation Spring (Armalite Part #EA1095) and AR10 Carbine Buffer (Armalite Part #EC0120). If you are using this for a DPMS rifle, you will need to call DPMS for the correct parts needed. Attempting to use this tube with parts other than these, will result in damage to your rifle.

So using the the table above and this paragraph we know: If a5 on ar10 use ar10 length carbine buffer (3.250) the xh ar15 buffer is 3.250 and that ar10 spring must be used with this length buffer.

Don't feel bad I just finished a build and had to figure this out too.
    Last edited by SDlocal; 12-04-14 at 19:59.