Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When to use an extra power spring?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

When to use an extra power spring?

I've been perusing this fine forum for quite awhile and I've read most of the technical stickies. What I mean by extra power is something like a SpringCo blue spring. I've read the Tuning 101 and other discussions, but I didn't see a clear (to me answer to this). So I'll pose 3 questions.

1. How does one know when an extra power spring is necessary or preferable?

2. How does the spring tension interact with the BCG and buffer weight to impact the operation and performance of the rifle?

3. In what case would it be preferable to run a lighter carrier and buffer?

I hope these questions make sense to you guys, because it almost seems like an art to determine the best setup for each of my rifles and I want to understand what I'm doing as I tweak them.

Thanks
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 12-03-14 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Is this a practical or theoretical question?

Do you have ARs that are not performing to your expectations?

Heavy springs are often used to incorrectly compensate for over gassed uppers.

The "set it and forget it" solution is to use the A5 system.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It is really more theoretical. And it has been bugging me for a long time. I'm trying to understand the proper use for an extra power spring. IF there is one. How does it impact the operating system?

I could see the extra power spring being used incorrectly to offset over gassed systems, but what is the use of this spring?

Also, what is the purpose of lightweight carriers?

That's why I put this in tech discussions. I was hoping the M4 Carbine Wizards could explain it fairly plainly.

I have my thoughts, but I would like to hear from someone knowledgeable.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    In my opinion, NEVER. Get the gun fixed.

2. How does the spring tension interact with the BCG and buffer weight to impact the operation and performance of the rifle?
    Stoner figured that out. We just have to resist the temptation to screw it up with aftermarket nonsense.

When you find yourself flitting around blue barrels in a satin shirt with logos all over it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    What would be the most cost effective way to fix an overgassed carbine barrel? I've been using the Blue Springco spring and H2 buffer as a bandaid in my M&P15. Even with that in it, it feels like there's gas to spare with shooting PMC Bronze, which is certainly no 5.56. I thought the idea was to use the heaviest spring/buffer setup your carbine will lock the bolt back on while shooting the weakest ammo you plan on using.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    What would be the most cost effective way to fix an overgassed carbine barrel? I've been using the Blue Springco spring and H2 buffer as a bandaid in my M&P15. Even with that in it, it feels like there's gas to spare with shooting PMC Bronze, which is certainly no 5.56. I thought the idea was to use the heaviest spring/buffer setup your carbine will lock the bolt back on while shooting the weakest ammo you plan on using.
    That'd sound advice for a properly ported barrel. Yours is over gassed.

If you want to stick with the carbine receiver extension, grab an H3 buffer. That gun wood run a Vltor A5H4 buffer with the std Vltor spring. If you don't want to mess with the gas block by getting an adjustable one, the Vltor A5 system is the easy way to go.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    In my opinion, NEVER. Get the gun fixed.

Stoner figured that out. We just have to resist the temptation to screw it up with aftermarket nonsense.

When you find yourself flitting around blue barrels in a satin shirt with logos all over it.
    I'm starting to like this guy!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, but I was trying to start what Clint called a "theoretical discussion" because I want to understand how an under or over powered spring affects the operating system.

I've seen a lot of discussion about the gas system, and the effect of various buffer weights on the operating system, but I've not seen a discussion on the effect of the spring rates on the system.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 12-12-14 at 11:45. Reason: To be nice

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've been perusing this fine forum for quite awhile and I've read most of the technical stickies. What I mean by extra power is something like a SpringCo blue spring. I've read the Tuning 101 and other discussions, but I didn't see a clear (to me answer to this). So I'll pose 3 questions.

I hope these questions make sense to you guys, because it almost seems like an art to determine the best setup for each of my rifles and I want to understand what I'm doing as I tweak them.

Thanks
    I dont consider a springco blue "extra power". A real extra power spring is something a like a springco red, wolff extra power of a tubbs extra power. If anything a springco blue should be the STANDARD as it works with pretty much every setup run in a normal range.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks. but you guys missed the point. Especially, markm. My rifles work fine. But I was trying to start what Clint called a "theoretical discussion" because I want to understand how an under or over powered spring affects the operating system. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by some of the goofball mentality, but I am.

I've seen a lot of discussion about the gas system, and the effect of various buffer weights on the operating system, but I've not seen a discussion on the effect of the spring rates on the system.

So, I'll try one more time and state the question in a different simpler way. If I had a rifle with a standard carbine spring and H buffer, what would be the effect on the operating system if I removed the standard carbine spring and replaced it with an extra power spring. Would it change the timing, uh lock time? Does it increase the cyclic rate or decrease it? What are the adverse or positive affects? Etc.

Let's just start with that.
    Okay, a spring rate increase will also increase cyclic rate. I have found that it can cause muzzle dip in a properly gassed rifle.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast