Thread: Concurrent Training Study of interest.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Concurrent Training Study of interest.

An interesting study attempting to see what schedule of weight training and aerobics was optimal. The basic finding of this study is, doing aerobics and strength on alternate days was most effective as it was most recovery time between them if one is doing a concurrent program which calls for both. That is, if you're regularly training both aerobic and anaerobic systems and trying to make improvements in both, it's best to do them on alternate days vs together or same day. That's how I have always approached it personally. There's many a variable one can throw into these findings that could alter the recs, but it's the first study I'm aware of that's attempted to answer the Q/issue of people doing exercise of "contradictory qualities" together. More people are interested in being a well balanced in their fitness levels, vs just being strong in the gym or able to run marathons, so this is timely study:

J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Dec 24.

The specific training effects of concurrent aerobic and strength exercises depends on recovery duration.

Abstract

This study aimed to determine whether the duration (0h, 6h or 24h) of recovery between strength and aerobic sequences influences the responses to a concurrent training program. Fifty-eight amateur rugby players were randomly assigned to either control (CONT), concurrent training (C-0h, C-6h or C-24h) or strength training (STR) groups during a 7-week training period.

Two sessions of each quality were proposed each week with strength always performed before aerobic training. Neuromuscular and aerobic measurements were performed before and immediately after the overall training period. Data were assessed for practical significance using magnitude-based inference.

Gains in maximal strength for bench press and half squat were lower in C-0h compared to C-6h, C-24h and STR. The maximal voluntary contraction (MVC) during isokinetic knee extension at 60°·s was likely higher for C-24h compared with C-0h. Changes in MVC at 180°·s was likely higher in C-24h and STR than in C-0h and C-6h. Training-induced gains in isometric MVC for C-0h, C-6h, C-24h and STR were unclear. VO2peak increased in C-0h, C-6h and C-24h. Training-induced changes in VO2peak were higher in C-24h than in C-0h and C-6h.

Our study emphasized that the interference on strength development depends on the recovery delay between the two sequences. Daily training without a recovery period between sessions (C-0h) and, to a lesser extent, training twice a day (C-6h), is not optimal for neuromuscular and aerobic improvements.

Fitness coaches should avoid scheduling two contradictory qualities, with less than 6-hours recovery between them to obtain full adaptative responses to concurrent training.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...overy+duration
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Timely info Will. Thanks! I need to go thru that study and see what will work best into our schedules. I am thinking of modifying my workouts to be as follows--lift M-W-F morning, and ride MTWThF, and a longer ride on Saturday.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    Timely info Will. Thanks! I need to go thru that study and see what will work best into our schedules. I am thinking of modifying my workouts to be as follows--lift M-W-F morning, and ride MTWThF, and a longer ride on Saturday.
    If you're following the results of the study, you'd do something like workout M-W-F, and ride T-T-S with perhaps Sunday off
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Interesting.

I double up now, doing something like crossfit-type weights a d cardio together.

Guess ill reevaluate.

Feedback Score
    My regimen includes cardio 5x per week and weights 3x per week. Not mathematically possible to do both in a 7-day week. One day has to double up. If I want a day off I have to double up twice.

I don't look for ways to say "Hey, I can cut out XXX to meet this new guideline". It's not how I think; my wheels turn in a different fashion. Hell, a vacation means doing extra cardio for a few weeks prior so I can do less (not eliminating altogether) while actually on vacation. Yeah, O/C for sure, but one excuse leads to another over time.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 01-05-15 at 20:29.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Will, I would do a 3x3 but I really need to add miles on the bike. Only way for me to do that is to ride more often, with my limited time available in any given day. The weights are something I enjoy, and that will help combat age/gender related bone losses, along with improvements in cycling and general strength.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    My regimen includes cardio 5x per week and weights 3x per week. Not mathematically possible to do both in a 7-day week. One day has to double up. If I want a day off I have to double up twice.

I don't look for ways to say "Hey, I can cut out XXX to meet this new guideline". It's not how I think; my wheels turn in a different fashion. Hell, a vacation means doing extra cardio for a few weeks prior so I can do less (not eliminating altogether) while actually on vacation. Yeah, O/C for sure, but one excuse leads to another over time.
    I just supply the intel, you decide what to do with it.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I just supply the intel, you decide what to do with it.
    Oh I wasn't being critical of the info you provided, in fact I enjoy seeing new options. It's just that I've read a number of workout regimens that include both strength and endurance (cardio) workouts and some of them actually seem like I'd be giving myself a break! For instance, I could do cardio one day and weights the next, 7 days a week. I'd meet my weight lifting requirement but would come up woefully short on the cardio aspect. Sure, I could do longer cardio but especially at this time of year it is mostly indoors and there is only so much brain-burn I can tolerate looking at a TV! Longer cardio sessions don't work on my consecutive 12-hour shift working days either (30-35 minutes is about the most I feasibly have time for).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!