Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrier busting in the hood.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    Most specially 5.56 rounds come with a high cost which limit their use in training and if I can increase caliber a bit and gain the penetration using simple FMJ's its a more cost effective and practical choice training wise.
    Patriot,

You speak of cost which is a valid concern. My question (followed by another question) is how much would you invest in changing calibers, upper(s), possibly mags and the obtaining the new ammo? How would this cost compare to finding a somewhat suitable "specialty ammo" in your current caliber that would have a POI similar to your current caliber of choice with a FMJ loading for practice?

Keith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    Patriot,

You speak of cost which is a valid concern. My question (followed by another question) is how much would you invest in changing calibers, upper(s), possibly mags and the obtaining the new ammo? How would this cost compare to finding a somewhat suitable "specialty ammo" in your current caliber that would have a POI similar to your current caliber of choice with a FMJ loading for practice?

Keith
    Not to mention the 'logistics' of then stocking a sufficient quantity of the new cartridge, possibly new magazines, possibly new spare parts, etc. I mean, are you going to do a wholesale switch to a different cartridge? Because it's not like, if you were to really need/want the increased barrier penetration of it, you could swap rifles or uppers in mid stream. But you could have the better (or less bad) 5.56 barrier ammo loaded, or in a spare mag (or mags)

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I would just look at getting different ammo. The .70 TSX or .75 gr stuff cost more but works well. The cost will be much cheaper than changing ammo types. Just new magazines alone would be more. Also you will still have all of your current ammo stores while you build a supply of heavier grain ammo. Then the old stuff can be used to train. Overall it would be the best choice.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    M855 sucks for just about everything.
    THIS! I often read posts on the forums where guys have a false sense of its capabilities. I shot some through auto glass once, and it was just as bad as anything else I tested.

We didn't have bonded options back then.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    As someone who has and likes his 6.8mm I would only recommend it for the intended use if and only if you can't handle the .308. For SD if you're going to spend an equivalent amount to .308 in practice and training, you may as well get the added performance of .308. 6.8 is just not cheap for the performance.

I use my 6.8mm for hunting (specifically hogs) which I feel like it excels at, but I don't spend a whole of time practicing with it. I check my scope dial zero once a year and then whatever I use killing hogs.

IF you do go 6.8, Federal has made some nice white box gold dot rounds. 90gr pushing 2800fps out of a 16" barrel. Drop a 250lb hog like a bad habit. Not sure if production will continue or if they're a limited run though.

http://www.luckygunner.com/6-8-90-gr...eral-20-rounds

I agree with everyone else above though, I think your best bet will be 556 with some of the better loadings....

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    As someone who has and likes his 6.8mm I would only recommend it for the intended use if and only if you can't handle the .308. For SD if you're going to spend an equivalent amount to .308 in practice and training, you may as well get the added performance of .308. 6.8 is just not cheap for the performance.

I use my 6.8mm for hunting (specifically hogs) which I feel like it excels at, but I don't spend a whole of time practicing with it. I check my scope dial zero once a year and then whatever I use killing hogs.

IF you do go 6.8, Federal has made some nice white box gold dot rounds. 90gr pushing 2800fps out of a 16" barrel. Drop a 250lb hog like a bad habit. Not sure if production will continue or if they're a limited run though.

http://www.luckygunner.com/6-8-90-gr...eral-20-rounds

I agree with everyone else above though, I think your best bet will be 556 with some of the better loadings....
    Except most .308 platforms are unwieldy in tight quarters when compared to 5.56/6.8/,300 BLK platforms. Perhaps a short barreled FAL PARA, but that comes with it's own set of issues. A 6.8 or .300 BLK with bonded core bullets should be a nice in-between option. They should easily outpace the terminal performance of even the best 5.56 loads through intermediate barriers.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Logistics are the primary concern for the situation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Except most .308 platforms are unwieldy in tight quarters when compared to 5.56/6.8/,300 BLK platforms. Perhaps a short barreled FAL PARA, but that comes with it's own set of issues. A 6.8 or .300 BLK with bonded core bullets should be a nice in-between option. They should easily outpace the terminal performance of even the best 5.56 loads through intermediate barriers.
    True. Maneuverability could be an issue. Thinking a little more, if .308 is out for whatever reason, the cheap S&B 6.8 FMJs might end up having better a price/performance ratio against barriers than the premium 556 loads. 110gr doing about 2500fps at the muzzle. Although it does have all the typical shortfalls of FMJ against flesh.....

http://www.luckygunner.com/6-8-spc-1...llot-20-rounds

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I used a 6.8 SPC 11.3in upper on a Pistol Lower this year for Indiana Whitetail hunting as our rules have not changed yet regarding "rifles" but the AR pistol in 6.8 and 300blk are both leagl "pistols". The 110gr Vmax did a freaking hell of a job dropping all 3 Whitetail I took this year from 50 yards to 204 yards. Its topped with a Leupold Patrol VX-R 1.25-4.

The upper is now on my SBR lower and is gonna stay there as my SBR. As long as regulations get changed for next year, its also what I'm hunting with. Damn handy short little package that still has plenty of ass to do what I need it too. Also makes a good in house gun since I have it. Picked up a bunch of Hornady 6.8 SPC 110 VMAX and I'm good to go.

We can hunt with suppressors but the added weight on the end and the fact that I wear Electronic Muffs when hunting anyways (makes it easy to hear shit sneaking thru the woods, harharhar), I doubt I'll put a AAC 51T mount on my 6.8, its wearing a BCM 762 GF Comp now.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Double tap.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 12-17-14 at 13:58.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast