Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMDOM Gym Bag: Will it fit an AK with folding stock and magazine?

Feedback Score

EMDOM Gym Bag: Will it fit an AK with folding stock and magazine?

Looking hard at the EMDOM Gym bag for my AK. I really want something discreet. Does anyone know if it will fit an AK74 with a folding stock and mag inserted? Or would I have to remove the mag?

There are pictures here of an AK but the mag isn't inserted in the gun in the pic.

http://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom-MM-TNT...ag-p/eu134.htm

If you have any other suggestions for a discreet rifle/SBR carry bag, I'm all ears.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like the average folded ak 74 is 27 inches long and the bag is 26x10x8 so it should fit.
    My go to bag for my ar is a tennis racquet bag.
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 12-12-14 at 22:13.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have the bag but not an ak. I would get against being able to leave a magazine in.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    This should give you a good idea;
    http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm...4.html#tntgyme
    But I think the one you are asking about is the regular length?
    Last edited by ADK; 12-13-14 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    a folding stock AK with magazine inserted will fit into the TNT-GYM (extended) bag with room to spare (see photo below). there's also room for a low profile chest rig/bandoleer of AK mags.

tnt-gym-eak.jpg

the standard TNT-GYM bag is a tight fit for an AK so i'd go with the extended version. you have to wrangle the AK into and out of the standard version, so i'm assuming you want quicker access since you plan to leave the mag in there. honestly, it doesn't take more than a couple of seconds to insert a mag, so maybe you can re-think your needs.
    i know that guitar cases, skateboard, baseball bat or tennis racquet bags work, and may be cheaper, but the reason i came up with the TNT-GYM bag concept was that any case that implies what its contents are is not discreet (IMHO). while people may not think there's a rifle in there, they'll make them think that there's a guitar or tennis racquet in there, and invite curiosity. whether it's because those cases may look out of place, or someone with a common interest may want to chat. i think that the best discreet cases are common-looking backpacks, or generic-looking gym bags that don't imply anything about the contents. 'discreet' gun cases look like gun cases, even in 'civvie' colours. also be careful about putting weapons in tool boxes or laptop cases or anything that attracts theft. generic = good IMHO.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've always questioned that logic as well, after seeing a guy wearing 5.11 pants, boots, and a gun industry shirt show me his "discreet" tennis racquet bag. Looked so out of place with him it was comical. Probably would attract less attention just carrying the damn AK around.

Don't have experience with the TNT bag, but I'm a big fan of Emdom's other nylon goods so I'm sure it's a solid choice.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's why tennis bags work for me, because I play tennis and I don't wear a bunch of tacticool clothes. Plus it can fit a full size ar if you need too and it carries my tennis racquet and all the other gear. But it works for me because I actually play which is the real key.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    I am torn between this bag and the First Spear Skirmisher.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ro View Post
    I am torn between this bag and the First Spear Skirmisher.
    It all depends on whether you're looking for something discreet-looking, or just a good range bag/pack. You can't go wrong with First Spear, either; they have well designed and made products. About six years ago, I came up with a weapon backpack design and EMDOM made a prototype up for me; the Skirmisher is designed with similar intentions. I shelved the project in favour of the TNT GYM bag because the backpack looked too unusual. At least, our prototype did. I'm sure we could have made it more 'normal' looking but I wanted to test out the concept. It works well and I've used it quite a bit for carrying two rifles and gear on shooting trips. A backpack will also be more comfortable if you're going to walk a long distance.

Here are some pics of that prototype - it carries two uppers, separated by two lowers by a padded divider. Two large pockets on the outside with internal organization for shooting accessories etc:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    a folding stock AK with magazine inserted will fit into the TNT-GYM (extended) bag with room to spare (see photo below). there's also room for a low profile chest rig/bandoleer of AK mags.

tnt-gym-eak.jpg

the standard TNT-GYM bag is a tight fit for an AK so i'd go with the extended version. you have to wrangle the AK into and out of the standard version, so i'm assuming you want quicker access since you plan to leave the mag in there. honestly, it doesn't take more than a couple of seconds to insert a mag, so maybe you can re-think your needs.
    i know that guitar cases, skateboard, baseball bat or tennis racquet bags work, and may be cheaper, but the reason i came up with the TNT-GYM bag concept was that any case that implies what its contents are is not discreet (IMHO). while people may not think there's a rifle in there, they'll make them think that there's a guitar or tennis racquet in there, and invite curiosity. whether it's because those cases may look out of place, or someone with a common interest may want to chat. i think that the best discreet cases are common-looking backpacks, or generic-looking gym bags that don't imply anything about the contents. 'discreet' gun cases look like gun cases, even in 'civvie' colours. also be careful about putting weapons in tool boxes or laptop cases or anything that attracts theft. generic = good IMHO.
    If I go with the standard bag, am I good to go without the mag inserted? My folded rifle measures only 26" long, or thereabouts. I have a 14.5" barrel with welded battlecomp to bring the barrel to 16" OAL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast