----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 3:14 PM

SWAT sergeant on the Maine State Police spoke about a recent shooting they were involved in. The violent felon involved was a man who had shot his mother in the head in the driveway, then barricaded himself in the house with his handgun, a shotgun and an AK-47 clone of some sort.

The stand-off was eventually terminated when a trooper, armed with a 20-inch barreled Remington M870 that had an AimPoint sighting device, hammered a full-power, 1-oz Federal 2-3/4-inch "Foster" slug through the felon's mid-chest at a measured 91 yards distance. The felon went down instantly and ART'd on the scene.

At autopsy, the Foster was recovered from the criminal's upper back, next to his spinal column. It had very nearly punched completely through his upper torso and popped out as soon as the deceased's skin was cut open. The recovered Foster slug was mis-shapen, but wasn't "expanded" or fragmented into large chunks as Fosters sometimes do in short-range shootings.

The Maine State Police SWAT sergeant I spoke with told me that their .223 caliber rifles have never put anyone down as convincingly as a 12-gauge slug does, given comparable shot placement.

-------------------------------------
An Aimpoint on a shotgun really extends it's capabilities.

The CompM and ML series work well with shotguns and the new Aimpoint Micro T-1 on a shotgun is great. See photos that I posted earlier. The Micro has 4 MOA dot (4" circle on the target at 100 yards) with constant on five year battery life and comes with an integral mount.

A USAF PJ used a Micro T-1 on a three day shotgun work up cycle with Louis Awerbuck firing nearly 100 slugs, 100 00B, 400 target loads with a Micro mounted on an 870. The Micro ran great, even hitting 18 for 18 on a steel target 118 yards away in very low light.

Hans Vang www.vangcompsystems.com can mount a small piece of Picatinny rail on shotgun receivers, also the Micro will mount to a Weaver #36M base mount.

S/F