Thread: What to look for in a new Marlin lever action?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

What to look for in a new Marlin lever action?

I am looking to buy a Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 lever action rifle. Specifically this model: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...re/1895SBL.asp

I am aware of the huge QC issues Marlin had a couple of years ago and by many accounts they seem to have gotten back up to spec and are turning out quality stuff nowadays.

That being said, what should I look for when picking one up? Are there any rollmarks indicating bad from good? Any reputable online dealers that will go through the inspection process for me?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You might want to contact Joseph Barnsfather at Superior Firearms. He is a member here and is the resident Marlin expert.

I purchased a pos 1894C that had some problems. He fixed it up nicely.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    You might want to take a look at posts from one of the mods here, a fellow named mark5pt56. He has a Marlin 45-70, and shoots it quite well. I believe Joe Barnsfeather also tended to it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You're looking for JM stamped on the barrel. That indicates that it was made pre Freedom Group. They own Marlin among others. Supposedly the quality control has slipped since they took over.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I owned a Marlin Cowboy in .38 Spl./.357 Mag and had a devil of a time developing accurate reloads for it. I had to purchase oversize bullets to reload reasonably accurate ammunition. Check the link and the barrel diameters for Marlin lever action rifles if reloading is a consideration.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/faq/.../marlindia.htm
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwsturr View Post
    You're looking for JM stamped on the barrel. That indicates that it was made pre Freedom Group. They own Marlin among others. Supposedly the quality control has slipped since they took over.
    JM stamp indicates it was pre-freedom group.
    I believe REP (or similar) indicates problem times.
    I am under the impression these is a new "trouble-free" stamp. Any idea what that one is?

I'm buying a new rifle, not a used one, so it would be very difficult to find a pre-freedom group sample.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    JM stamp indicates it was pre-freedom group.
    I believe REP (or similar) indicates problem times.
    I am under the impression these is a new "trouble-free" stamp. Any idea what that one is?

I'm buying a new rifle, not a used one, so it would be very difficult to find a pre-freedom group sample.
    Don't know what the latest stamp is. But i read an article about a 2012 45-70 wood stock falling apart. I had to sell my jm stamped 30-30 a couple years ago. I'm planning on buying another marlin soon too. If i don't find a nice used one. I probably go to the local shop and roll the dice on a new one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwsturr View Post
    I probably go to the local shop and roll the dice on a new one.
    Do yourself a favor when you do: work the lever and check the fitment of the stocks. They will probably tell you all you need to know. That's coming from a guy who bought a 2011 "REP" Marlin (I didn't know any better at the time... many modifications later, it's a fine shooter- what it should have been out of the box.)

Honestly, finding a used 336/45-70 shouldn't be too difficult. Pawn shops and gun shows always have "JM" stamped Marlins for low prices.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 12-28-14 at 15:54.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin