Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Effective is the MK12?

Feedback Score

How Effective is the MK12?

Just out of curiosity, how effective is the MK12 platform in a combat environment? What range is considered its maximum effective range?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There have been reported kills out near 1000 yards. Also I have heard, no way of confirming though, that it's a favorite of SOF units.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I shot one built by High Caliber Sales earlier this year. It was a tack driver at 500 yards. I'm an average shooter but that rifle made me look good. Ammo used was off the shelf MK262, not sure of the manufacturer. Not sure on the exact optic model either as the gun was rattle canned, but it was some sort of Nightforce.

I really want one of my own. Sorry it's not a professional review, but after running a few boxes of ammo through one I was impressed with what it could do.

Feedback Score
    Very capable out to 800 but 1K is a hell of a lot more challenging & MK262 is limping at that distance. I wouldn't want to catch one but it's definitely not the steel smack that's delivered at 800. I've had my Mod1 since 06 & it still impresses the hell out of me everytime I shoot it (which is often). FWIW, I prefer the lighter weight & shorter OAL of the ModH.

Feedback Score
    it has a 1/7 18" barrel so its maximum effectiveness will be as far as the 77gr smk 77gr Nosler 73gr berger, 75gr bthp..etc can go. The 18" barrel doesn't lose too much in velocity to the 20".
    It has a match grade douglas barrel so its accuracy should be a little better than the standard 20" A2 profile barrel...but FN CHF barrels are super amazing and Id just build a gov profile FN 18"er rather than the MK12...less expensive, lighter and probably just as accurate

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have wondered as long as I have looked at MK12's, why did they leave the gas block exposed and not use a longer rail? I haven't dedicated much time to finding this answer for myself, I must admit.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I have wondered as long as I have looked at MK12's, why did they leave the gas block exposed and not use a longer rail? I haven't dedicated much time to finding this answer for myself, I must admit.
    Part of it is due to the availability of off-the-shelf commercial parts. Who made extra-long rifle forearms in those days? Another factor might be the ability to access the gas block without needing to tear off the handguard.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Correct.

If you're working against a time suspense from the time a project is approved, contracting cuts a check, vendors can manufacture and supply the parts, you can assemble, test, proof and ship, and then run pre-deployment training you have to work with proven suppliers.

From 9-11-01 go plus and minus 2 years and remember who could meet commercial-off-the-shelf rail, trigger, barrel, bipod and mount, and scope delivery time-lines.

These photos are just one example of a 500-unit order (this one for 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division and attachments) for OIF in 2005. Same goes for any other order (such as USASOC) from the time a project is approved, contracting cuts a check, and now you have to wait for commercial bits and pieces. Meanwhile the unit is still in pre-deployment scheduling and they want to know when their rifles will be ready so they can schedule ranges and people to be in the right place at the right time in the correct uniform.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Those are cool pictures sinister. Thanks for posting them.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As ridiculous as it sounds, where we were the most valuable part of the Mk12 was the optic on it - having a decent glass with some reach without having to rely on binos was great, the next most useful part was the can (deal with big-ass feral dogs without alerting every talifag for miles).

The smooth shooting and quiet nature of shooting of that system sold me on having suppressors on basically any semi-precision rifle, not to mention that spending some coin on glass really enhances the effective range when fed solid ammunition. I really wish I could have carried one in a-stan (our unit just didn't have any), since the times I was outside the wire I wound up being most useful as overwatch (since we were working I&W/comms, the math nerd with 20/8 eyesight who shoots fairly high expert is probably the guy you want on the Mk12).
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast