Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How Effective is the MK12?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeam98 View Post
    After returning from OIF2 in 2005 and retiring. I started my build in 2009 and finished it 2012 a MK 12 Mod 0. This is the most accurate AR I have ever shot. I worked up a load using TAC and currently 8208 with the 77MK. A great rifle the MK 12.
    8208 is some nice hot powder and a good mk12, well much to be said about that gun. Glad you made it back Redteam!, and did some damage to the other guys, congrats.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    We didn't use the SPR. We used the SAM-R; which, I guess by definition, IS a SPR, just 20" and not 18". But I LOVED the SAM-R.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would recommend taking Buck Doyle's (follow through consulting) scoped carbine course. He holds them in Utah and NM. It is aimed at using the Tremor 3 reticle, but shooting basically a M12 is impressive out to 700ish yards. You will develop speed, and see how many rounds/impacts you can put on a target very, very quickly. I took his class and was pretty amazed and how effective a M12ish system can be.

Whether terminal ballistics are effective probably includes a lot more variables.

Blessings,

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    We didn't use the SPR. We used the SAM-R; which, I guess by definition, IS a SPR, just 20" and not 18". But I LOVED the SAM-R.
    Hands down, my favorite firearm in existence... which is odd that I decided to build an SPR instead of a SAM-R, especially being a cheapskate.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Hands down, my favorite firearm in existence... which is odd that I decided to build an SPR instead of a SAM-R, especially being a cheapskate.
    Mk12, SAM-R, SPR, Recce? I can't keep track of all this nonsense. And then there's some Mod H, block 0.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    SAM-R specifically. 20" barrel, basically identical silhouette to the rest of the squad, but with the optics to make up some difference. I tried to get our armory to request some that were floating around so I could take it (just to have a better optic), but no dice. Then again, I was at best a prop when sitting behind our .50 anyway.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I never "loved" a gun until that gun, and I "loved" that gun...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Mk12, SAM-R, SPR, Recce? I can't keep track of all this nonsense. And then there's some Mod H, block 0.
    Mk12 is a SPR, SPR is a very general name given to pretty much anything 5.56 and longer than a M4 that is not specifically a M16. Recce is just a flattop M4 which may or may not have a FSB, and it has a precision barrel.

SAM-R specifically. 20" barrel, basically identical silhouette to the rest of the squad, but with the optics to make up some difference. I tried to get our armory to request some that were floating around so I could take it (just to have a better optic), but no dice. Then again, I was at best a prop when sitting behind our .50 anyway.
    Our barrel was a Krieger, magnified optic, and 2-stage trigger. It was a thing of beauty, and every squad should have had one.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Our barrel was a Krieger, magnified optic, and 2-stage trigger. It was a thing of beauty, and every squad should have had one.
    Yes, that was exactly my argument. Making that a squad level asset is a cheap and effective way of improving capability overall, especially if the majority of guys are rocking M4's for various reasons - combining that capability with embedded LMGs is seriously underrated when dealing with shoot and scoot jerk-offs trying to engage friendly air assets.
    Ditto for wide open plains in Helmand where inspecting sketchy stuff and people at a distance, that combination was absolute gold, and the Mk12s the unit we were attached to had that. It only took a couple early mornings of high casualty IED emplacement attempts for the Paki kids to figure out that our rednecks with long barrels were not to be trifled with anywhere we had direct LOS.

I got as far as being told directly by JAG that I'd become poorer and less free by building my own upper and smuggling it into country, because I wanted to do that (and didn't have the awareness to appreciate that the optic alone would have been worthwhile). Then again, their assumption was that I no super-pogues would have the background to usefully implement that capability (so instead we got an M203 a lifetime supply of pen flares with that budget).
    Last edited by TehLlama; 04-30-22 at 08:42.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    Just wondering if anyone here ever listens to Tactical Rifleman, Karl Erickson on YT. Two nights ago he had Steve Holland on. He had an upper which was a cut down 20" HBAR to 16 with what he said he the fiberglass FF tube from an AR10T. It was cut down to just behind the front sight. He doesn't have much good to say about PRI! He talked about how they'd cut an inch off the barrel at a time and test. That another group was doing the RECCE at the same time. He said he wanted a Mk262 equivalent as a result of watching the AMU and they were running 77's at 600. He's been on there before and gave the whole history of the 6.8 SPC and he's a riot to boot.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast