Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CTOMS X-Belt PS – Molle Battle Belt Photos & Review:

Feedback Score

CTOMS X-Belt PS – Molle Battle Belt Photos & Review:

CTOMS X-Belt PS – Molle Battle Belt Photos & Review:

Canadian Tactical & Operational Medical Solutions, Inc.

http://www.ctoms.ca/07/equipment/det...?product_id=11

When I first started getting involved with practical rifle shooting and was looking for gear, I naturally went for a chest rig type setup because my waist, hips and back have a hard time with just a 1911 government and two extra magazines. While I love my chest rig setup (a split-front Esstac Trim Bush Boar), I tend to overheat with gear strapped around my upper body, and wanted to try something different for the warm summer montsh. So, I decided to look for a molle belt system and spent days searching and reading. I found something interesting over on Lightfighter (http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...6701000253/p/1) and decided to jump. This was back in February, but the wait was definitely worth it.

Like the majority of molle belts, the CTOMS X-belt PS systems utilizes an outer padded belt, that is secured by an inner belt. CTOMS actually uses their version of a rigger’s belt, the X-Belt QR. I’m not going to go into detail with the inner belt, as you can read up on it here, http://www.ctoms.ca/07/equipment/det...?product_id=10 and look at the photos. I will say that the Cobra buckle allows for quick donning and removal, and looks very secure.

The outer molle portion of the belt is actually two sections of molle-covered padding (the sides), a rear molle panel, and a padded lumbar cushion. Because of this modular/adjustable design, it is one-size fit all, and is easily adjusted simply by securing the rear panel to the side panels via the available molle loops at the appropriate position; there is a stiffened length of nylon that is woven through the loops and onto itself to secure its position. Note, regardless of where the back panel is secured to the side panel, you will always have a continuous column of molle loops available to hang pouches.

The inner belt is secured to the outer belt via a series of loops that are easily accessed by ‘flipping’ up the molle panel, as seen in the photos. The molle panel is secured when closed via velcro mounted on top of the loops that the inner belt passes under. There is also a snap that holds the molle panel down. For those who need drop-leg hangers, they are easily placed along the length of the inner belt. If you look closely, there is also a single row of molle available directly on the padded portion, just barely visible under the inner belt. Most importantly, any weight placed on hangers pulls directly on the inner belt, avoiding the sagging issues some users have complained about with other systems. Lifting this portion also allows you to adjust the length of the inner belt.

“Belts and suspenders”…this is what I tell my patients when I use both sutures and packing. Anyway, with my known discomfort issues with carrying too much weight around the waist, the included suspenders should work well with the padding to keep me comfortable. It is a simple nylon harness that is attached to the belt via bungee cords. If you don’t like suspenders, you can easily remove them.

The rear clip-in point is directly attached to the inner belt, much like a drop-leg hanger; the front clip-in point is a part of the belt itself and folds on itself when not needed, and is secured with a small bungee clip. The inner portion of the padding is lined with what looks like a non-slip textured material; can’t yet say anything about moisture wicking or breathability.

Workmanship is first-class, with straight bar tacks, clean edges, solid construction and well thought out. The best part…..MADE IN THE USA! This is not inexpensive, but you pay for quality.

Sizing is relatively straightforward; find out what size you would need for the inner belt if wearing pants alone, then order one size larger, i.e. if you would get a LARGE belt for holding up your trousers, order the X-LARGE.

Sorry I don’t have photos of the belt with any pouches. I’ll probably go attach some mag holders and a drop leg hanger after I post this review. My plan is to wear it tomorrow for a club practical rifle match, after which, I’ll try to get more photos with gear on it.

If you have more questions, you can contact Chris Kopp directly. While he’s the CEO & Director of R&D of CTOMS, he will always respond to any inquiry you may have. If you are at all interested in a molle belt, give this one serious consideration. They just got the first batch of these in and they were very quick with the shipping, so I don’t know how long they will last.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    great review and pics. i got mine recently as well. it's a pretty innovative design. the only thing i didn't like about it were the suspenders - the elastic shock cord part. i had a long length of loose end after adjusting them, and cut off the excess. however, if i need to lengthen them again, i'm out of luck. it was also slow to adjust, as you have to untie the shock cord (all four of them), then re-tie it. i gave chris my feedback and some suggestions about making adjustments easier. i met him through a buddy at this past SHOT show and we hung out for a bit. he's a good fellow.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    definately something to keep my eye on see if those suspenders change
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am one source to blame for the current suspender issue.

I have a BETA version of the belt - and the suspenders without shock cord bound up when I bent over in armor. They needed to be able to stretch with body movement, or they where too loose or too tight.

Chris is a great guy and the workmanship is fanstastic -- I wear mine daily and it is holding up exceedingly well. The changes he added to the production are excellent.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Wow. I REALLY like that design.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    Does the molle belt roll over at the top, when you load the belt up? Thanks.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    Thanks, for all of the info. Nice setup.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I am one source to blame for the current suspender issue.

I have a BETA version of the belt - and the suspenders without shock cord bound up when I bent over in armor. They needed to be able to stretch with body movement, or they where too loose or too tight.

Chris is a great guy and the workmanship is fanstastic -- I wear mine daily and it is holding up exceedingly well. The changes he added to the production are excellent.
    I agree but, i'm personally thinking about this belt for purchase but wondering if i'll need the suspenders. it would be good to see something a little more modular as far as the suspenders go. even if the belt just included d rings attached with bungie straps so i could add surplus style suspenders. i am however by no means an expert and this is the closest thing i've seen to perfect as far as modular belts go, and my views and opinions are not based experience.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score

CTOMS X-Belt PS – Update & some more photos

CTOMS X-Belt PS – Update & some more photos:

Had a chance to get some pouches attached to the X-Belt prior to today’s match so I could give it a good work out. I set it up for 3-gun, with Eagle FB rifle/pistol pouches, a CSM dump pouch, a Maxpedition small utility pouch, and an Eagle shotshell pouch.

I’m a photographer as well as many other things before being a model, so since my buddy T wanted to try the belt, he let me take some photos while he posed for the camera. Besides, he doesn’t have a spare tire around the midsection to ruin the shots.

MM brought up a good point about the adjustability of the suspenders. While the shock cord/bungee system works well when worn, they are not easily adjusted in haste. I think a combination of the shock cords, along with an adjustable length of nylon using sliders and buckles may also work. As Kevin noted, I could see the suspenders falling off the shoulders w/o some form of elastic tension, especially when kneeling and changing positions.

For me, the only time I see myself adjusting the length of the suspenders is when the weather gets cooler, and will need to wear a light jacket or pullover under all this. Given the overall merits of the X-Belt’s design, I don’t think the suspenders should be a deal breaker.

The other concern I wanted to address (common in some other molle belts) is the belt rolling over itself under load. While the stiffened nylon snap button tabs of the eagle pouches and malice clips help the molle panel stay erect, the X-Belt has a plastic sheet sewn into the outer layer of the padded portion (the side directly under the inner belt) which keeps the belt from rolling over itself when the attached molle flap panel is under load. This plastic sheet runs the entire height of the belt, top to bottom.

Note, the actual molle panel does not have the plastic sheet. Since there is a generous layer of padding between your waist and plastic, you don’t notice anything at all. In fact, they were surprisingly comfortable to wear, and had no pressure points or pinching when twisting and moving about the waist. However, like any padded material that is cinched snug around you, it does get warm under it all; I will say despite today’s heat and humidity, I was better off with a belt rather than a chest rig.

So…in conclusion…CTOMS has hit a grand slam with this well executed, made in the USA product, worth every hard-earned penny indeed!

Feedback Score
    Nice review and with pictures to boot!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast