Thread: Suggestions for cold weather drive prep.

Feedback Score

Suggestions for cold weather drive prep.

Hello everyone. I am driving from la to utah next week. Any suggestions for things to bring in the truck with regard to survival if we get stuck and are waiting for a tow? we have the warm weather gear in our luggage and extra water and food. Just asking the pros on this board.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Tangent to your question, snow chains might be a good idea. In some areas you're legally required to have them in your vehicle certain times of the year.

Better to not get stuck in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by captahole View Post
    Hello everyone. I am driving from la to utah next week. Any suggestions for things to bring in the truck with regard to survival if we get stuck and are waiting for a tow? we have the warm weather gear in our luggage and extra water and food. Just asking the pros on this board.
    Thank you.
    I grew up in NH, and lived many years in MT and AK. Two things I saw most folks need in winter was a jump start or a tow from a snow bank. Many people will stop to help, but many won't have either cables or a strap...suggest you have both...

Otherwise, a shovel and warm blankets will go a long way to helping in a bad situation.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

To add to the above . . .

Some thoughts on the matter; warmth, illumination, and sustenance/hydration.

In a three-day pack keep the following: candles that produce heat, multiple methods of fire starting (matches/lighter/flint/etc.), cans of Sterno, maybe a small folding stove (Sterno makes them and there $5), packets of instant coffee/hot chocolate/oatmeal, tea bags, stainless steel cups to heat up beverages/food in, those body/foot warmers hunters and skiers use, Mylar blankets, redundant wool socks/gloves/head gear/scarfs/base layers/a good hard shell/etc., small tent (at the least a tarp and some paracord), quality boots and a set of gaiters in the event you have to self-rescue and go it on foot. Battery powered lantern, flash lights, head lamp, extra batteries, a good fixed blade and a hatchet or small axe.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    All of the above but I would avoid using any combustion style for a long term heat source if you are stranded in your car due to the carbon monoxide risk. Get a box or two of those chemical or air activated heat packs. Good winter clothes, ie: parka, snow pants, gloves, boots and face mask. Also a sleep bag for each person rated for the expected cold, and food that requires no heating. An be sure to keep a good stash of your water and food in your sleeping bags with you so it doesn't freeze solid if forced to hunker down in the vehicle.

First post complete.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll add to the previous posts:

Do you have an extra cell phone battery? There are stretches where cell service is not so good (and even non-existant) and a battery can draw down very quickly searching for a signal.

Feedback Score
    I'd add at least 10 gallons of extra fuel to the above mentioned.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Head lamp and TP, just sayin....
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    The only other thing i add is a come along or similar to self extricate from the ditch/snowbank.