Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1084

Thread: Gunsmithing Hall of Shame Thread

Feedback Score
    Post a picture. How easy is it to slide the bolt? I use uni-rings now, I like the way they seal. The Colt rings are good but not all rings are created equal. I can't recall where I ordered my one piece rings but it was from a reputable manufacturer. I compared a less expensive brand of rings to my Colt rings and I could see a difference, but the cheaper rings work fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    Post a picture. How easy is it to slide the bolt? I use uni-rings now, I like the way they seal. The Colt rings are good but not all rings are created equal. I can't recall where I ordered my one piece rings but it was from a reputable manufacturer. I compared a less expensive brand of rings to my Colt rings and I could see a difference, but the cheaper rings work fine.
    I put new rings I had on hand, from Damage Industry. My gun was running fine. I read a true test for gas ring wear is will bolt brop out of a disassembled carrier held upsidedown. I use the test seen on YT that many show. Thanks for help.
    Last edited by JoeBobJoe; 10-22-21 at 20:01.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post
    I put new rings I had on hand, from Damage Industry. My gun was running fine. I read a true test for gas ring wear is will bolt brop out of a disassembled carrier held upsidedown. I use the test seen on YT that many show. Thanks for help.
    The BCG weight method works. However, you will find some that will not hold and still function fine. If I feel very little resistance with light oil I swap out for uni-rings. But that's just me being anal, if it works...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is the inside of carrier, looks like a dull spot where bolt shoulder rides. I can't see the gas ring run. A rough chrome lining may cause premature wear.IMG_3368.jpg
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    I can't make it out well due to lighting and image quality but it looks pretty rough. Looks like a bad chrome job. Maybe get a new carrier and key? Not sure if anyone could coat it for you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post
    Here is the inside of carrier, looks like a dull spot where bolt shoulder rides. I can't see the gas ring run. A rough chrome lining may cause premature wear.IMG_3368.jpg
    I used to have a carrier that liked to eat rings. It looked smooth enough on the inside, but it ate rings fast.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I have an old preban Colt that is hard on gas rings. The entire carrier is a bit of a monstrosity due to the half-moon cuts. It causes the FCG to wear unevenly across the bottom also. I believe it does this because the mass of the carrier is not that of a full-size M16 carrier. I have seen a number of others of the same era with the same issue. I guess it boils down to inspection and your confidence in the carrier. I would guess it's serviceable. You can try applying some metal conditioner to the inside of the carrier. Eventually it will smooth out unless it's way out of spec. In the meanwhile you can buy some extra gas rings. I use a bio lube exclusivity at this point: due to carbon dissolving and suspension properties. Plus I carry concealed and it doesn't make me smell like Hoppes or some petrol based lube. I have a nano diamond gun oil I keep in my armorers kit, I use it for these types of issues. It seems to smooth stuff out if you have minor imperfections. The guy I purchased the lube from went out of business, but the lube is made in Texas. It's a strong smelling very thin petrol oil with nano diamonds in it, it has smoothed out all my 1911 action jobs and trigger work. I don't know if it will help resolve your issue but it got my old Colt back in business.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I threw rings on it just to be safe. I was gonna send it back for a replacement, but it's been 100% reliable. Gas rings are cheap enough.
    Plus i enjoy working on things.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    Probably the best course of action. If it continues to eat the rings you should warranty it if possible. I noticed my rings last longer since I started using the bio lube: it's likely because it prevents the carbon from baking on to the rings and other surfaces. I used to spend a lot of time scraping, soaking, and scrubbing after aggressive use.

Feedback Score
    I've actually done that that's basically what they do on Polish ones is that bad?

Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109 LastLast