Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56/.223 Appropriate? House w/Many Windows - Need to Minimize Risk to Neighbors

Feedback Score

5.56/.223 Appropriate? House w/Many Windows - Need to Minimize Risk to Neighbors

I have been reading all over the net for a week but have not found information related to the effects of regular window pane glass on a 5.56/.223 round. I am planning to acquire a small carbine dedicated to indoor only home defense and want to minimize risk to my neighbors who live 15->30 yards away. The problem is that my house has more windows around the perimeter than brick/wallboard so I am concerned about collateral damage.

The question: Is there a 5.56/.223 round that would be at least as safe as other common home defense types when shot through standard window glass (9mm, .40, .45, 00 Buck etc)? I am looking for the best balance of performance/safety.

As an alternate option, I am also considering a house carbine in either 9mm or 5.7x28 but I didn't find information on the effects on glass on these either. I am open to SBR'ing an AR but would prefer to stay at 16" to avoid paperwork.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You may very well hear a lot of different opinions on your question. Here's mine:

You need to change your thinking. Get away from "what is the best bullet for if I miss" to "what is the best bullet when I hit". Choose a defensive round that will work well on a human target, invest in training (especially lowlight training) and then invest in a quality carbine equipped in such a fashion that will maximize your ability to make that critical shot.

Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it, and a window ain't gonna stop one.

My $.02.

Feedback Score
    To your point, I agree good skills and quality equipment trump all. The nature of my question really is that while there are many adequate loads, I want the one that is the least lethal once it goes through a window. So for example, I like the Hornady 75gr TAP load and the Black Hills 77gr MatchKing. However, if I used a Speer 63gr soft point, I would assume it to be adequate as well and among the three, one is bound to be less lethal in a miss situation. The question is whether or not two 3mm layers of glass will disrupt any bullet in any caliber enough to make a difference.

Feedback Score
    Your not going to find a 5.56 round that is less leathel after encountering just a pane or two of glass. Also glass has a tendency of makeing lite bullets deflect, so you may not be able to predict the path of the round after it penitrates the glass.

5.56 has a lot less energy if it encounters a wall or other such solid object.

You may think about finding a carbine in a pistol caliber that has glazier saftey slug or similar rounds availeable. That way you would have the carbine you want in a round that has little chance of doing collateral damage if you miss .

Feedback Score
    From the responses, it looks like I might as well just assume the windows aren't even there and make decisions from there. In my situation, it looks like am headed down the road of a 9mm or .45 carbine. Pistol rounds are adequate in the 0->15 yard range while being somewhat less lethal beyond the perimeter of the house in a miss situation. Seems to be the best balance of performance/safety.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder_Burn View Post
    From the responses, it looks like I might as well just assume the windows aren't even there and make decisions from there. In my situation, it looks like am headed down the road of a 9mm or .45 carbine. Pistol rounds are adequate in the 0->15 yard range while being somewhat less lethal beyond the perimeter of the house in a miss situation. Seems to be the best balance of performance/safety.
    Not sure you're correct here. A pistol round is affective way beyond 15 yards.

See if you can find locations in your house where you can engage a threat so that a wall is behind them and not a window. If you can change your angle of attach slightly you may be able to solve your problem. If you're shooting a rifle you should have a much better hit ratio at 15 yards than you will have with a pistol.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder_Burn View Post
    In my situation, it looks like am headed down the road of a 9mm or .45 carbine. ... Seems to be the best balance of performance/safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by zxd9 View Post
    Not sure you're correct here. A pistol round is affective way beyond 15 yards.

See if you can find locations in your house where you can engage a threat so that a wall is behind them and not a window. If you can change your angle of attach slightly you may be able to solve your problem. If you're shooting a rifle you should have a much better hit ratio at 15 yards than you will have with a pistol.
    He is thinking a PCR not a handgun and I doubt that the BGs will wait for him to choose a better angle for the shot.

A carbine will indeed offer a better hit ratio.

Powder_Burn, I think you may be over thinking this a bit but it is your house and you have to live with the consequences of your decisions.
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Bullets go through walls. Bullets go through windows. .45 ACP and 9mm will penetrate walls and windows with more remaining wounding capability than pretty much any 5.56.

Thekatar gave very good advice.

Don't linger on the over-pen argument, choose the most caipable ammo available. If you are unwilling to accept the very small probability that someone else may be injured due to your actions to protect your family, buy a bat.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    buy a bat.
    If the bat breaks, the barrel of the bat could fly off, bust through a window, and hurt a passing chipmunk! That's just too much liability risk.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    In my original post on this topic you should notice that I recomended a round for the carbine known as a glazier or similarsafty slug. They are known to not go thru walls or windows and have very little remaining energy as they are esentialy a jacket filled with bird shot that ruptuers after its first encounter with a solid object. Great for takeing care of bad guys but will limit your chance of injureing someone outside your home.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast