Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5.56/.223 Appropriate? House w/Many Windows - Need to Minimize Risk to Neighbors

Feedback Score
    Twisted logic--exactly opposite of want the info is stating.

The handgun JHP's keep on going after first penetrating a barrier.

The 5.56 mm loads fragment and have reduced penetration and terminal effects.

If you need to shoot at bad guys behind barriers, use barrier blind ammo...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First of all, everything is a compromise. There is no magic BB and there is no perfect Red Ryder lever-action rifle with a built-in compass in its walnut stock.

If you don't care about over-penetration and chance of your shot hitting a loved one or a neighbor, then by all means ignore the information that has been pointed out by the other posters and go with your decision to use a pistol-caliber carbine.

There is a reason why SWAT Teams from around the country is getting rid of their sub guns and pistol-caliber carbines in favor of AR-type weapons in .223/5.56. It's not the cost of ammo or the cool factor.

There have been plenty of documented results from actual use and tests of how the .223/5.56 round is the closest we have to that magic BB for CQB use both in this thread as well as other threads and forums. All you have to do is look and keep an open mind about it. JM2CW.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Or did I twist the logic somehow?
    You'd make a HELL of a Liberal with that twisted logic!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    "Before I came here, I was confused on this topic. Having listened to your lecture, I am still confused, but on a higher level" - credited to Enrique Fermi; my quote is not exact.

The next quote is exact, however:

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    With one exception, the majority of the 5.56 mm/.223 loads, including M855 62 gr "green-tip" FMJ, which were fired through interior walls demonstrated either minimal changes in terminal performance compared with bare gelatin or reduced penetration.
    The next question is obvious: is one supposed to conclude that overpenetrating and nonexpanded JHP present a higher threat than those 5.56/.223 loads whose terminal performance is only minimally changed after going through an intermediate barrier?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Feedback Score
    That's right, after going through intermediate barriers, 5.56 mm loads had LESS penetration than any other type of projectile while the duty handgun loads had MORE penetration than any other type of projectile...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Got it, cool, this nails it for me.

I have one more, I hope you don't mind; this is more of a general education:

For fragmenting rounds like 5.56/.223, what distance on the graph is defined as penetration? I am going to answer it myself using your graph above; just let me know the right answer:

- penetration of pistol JHPs appears to be between 55 and 60 cm
    - .308 AMAX - about 40 cm
    - 5.56/.223 loads - 12 cm or so ???? Or is it about 20 cm (the distance of most penetrating fragment)?

Feedback Score
    Lots of folks seem to have difficulty in interpreting and assessing gelatin test shots and the associated wound profiles, especially from rifles.

Assuming properly prepared, calibrated, and sized gel blocks:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thank you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234