Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New BCM Complete Upper on an M&P15 Sport lower (for now) - Any compatibility issues?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question New BCM Complete Upper on an M&P15 Sport lower (for now) - Any compatibility issues?

So I have decided to buy a new 16" BCM Complete upper!!! (Receiver, 16" ELW barrel, KMR, BCM BCG, MOD-0 comp.)

My current AR is the Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport ....

I will be taking of that stock smith upper and placing the new BCM upper on the M&P15 lower.

(FOR NOW .. new lower build is coming next)

Any issue with compatibility placing that upper on this budget lower?

Buffer, trigger, fitment, etc. etc. ?????

Just wanting to make sure I am good 2 go when the new BCM comes in and the M&P lower will do what I need in the meantime till I build the new lower.

Thanks so much for all the help guys!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Other than tolerance stacking and variance I wouldn't imagine so. No idea what buffer S&W is running though, and while a carbine buffer might not cause issues, an H1 or H2 is preferred by many.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Other than tolerance stacking and variance I wouldn't imagine so. No idea what buffer S&W is running though, and while a carbine buffer might not cause issues, an H1 or H2 is preferred by many.
    Not familiar with tolerance stacking etc. ... I would like to learn more about that though.

And ya I have seen here and there some end up buying a new H2 buffer with a BCM upper install. (I wonder if I should buy one to be safe)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You shouldn't have any issues using the M&P lower. I would pick up an H buffer if your going to be running a lot 5.56 pressure ammo.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Should be good to go. I agree with Kain, if you have any reliability issues look to the buffer first but I think you wont have any issues.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    And congrats on the new upper! You will be very happy when you get the box in the mail. I just picked up a 11.5 kmr upper that I'm waiting on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalMark View Post
    You shouldn't have any issues using the M&P lower. I would pick up an H buffer if your going to be running a lot 5.56 pressure ammo.
    I primarily run .223

So it looks like have a H / H2 / Etc. ..... if I do decide to get one ahead of time should I get the H or H2?

And only shooting .223 99% of the time you think I should be good with the stock M&P lower? (new to AR's, buffers, etc.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Not familiar with tolerance stacking etc. ... I would like to learn more about that though.

And ya I have seen here and there some end up buying a new H2 buffer with a BCM upper install. (I wonder if I should buy one to be safe)
    All uppers and lowers are built, or at least should be built to a particular spec. Now most manufacturers have a range that they consider in spec and from one manufacturer to the next there can be variance. Some spec on the high end, some on the low. What sometimes happens if you get two products that run on opposite ends they may not fit together easily or even at all. For example I have an RRA lower that is tight and will not fit an old bushy lower I have, nor a recent production BCM upper(at least not with out a lot of force.) But another RRA upper drops on fine, as does another BCM upper. This would be tolerance stacking.

As far as buffers go. I run H1s in mine, though I have thought of grabbing an H2 or even H3 just to toy with, and maybe stick in an old overgassed Bushy, but that neither here nor there. Again your upper should run with a carbine buffer just fine though.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    I primarily run .223

So it looks like have a H / H2 / Etc. ..... if I do decide to get one ahead of time should I get the H or H2?

And only shooting .223 99% of the time you think I should be good with the stock M&P lower? (new to AR's, buffers, etc.)
    I would stick with a H, if your going to be primarily shooting .223.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalMark View Post
    I would stick with a H, if your going to be primarily shooting .223.
    I concur. The only ammo that has given either of my middys issue while running an H buffer is Tula .223 55gr steel cased ammo, and that is pretty well known to be shit ammo. Wolf, Hornady Steel match, various .223 and 5.56 ammo has not been an issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast